SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Shallow depth cabinet run--uppers?

Fori
15 years ago

My latest design incarnation has one run of cabinets in my galley kitchen end with about 38" of shallow depth cabinets to accommodate, well, let's just say it gets tight at that end.

Anyway, the lower cabinets will be 12-15" (depending on which cabinet maker we select). The uppers will be the same depth--unless y'all think they shouldn't be.

I think this counter space would be more for appliances like toaster, coffee maker, and small microwave, or items like the fruit bowl and bread box. Not a place one expects to roll out dough or anything; more of a glorified shelf.

So, with that in mind, and knowing that storage is at a premium in this kitchen and that I am short, should we have standard positioning for the uppers, or go with a short upper mounted high?

In favor of full uppers is the extra storage plus a continuous cabinet run instead of 3 heights on that wall (it'll go 30" wide standard, 36" hood cabinet, another 30" standard, and then these).

In favor of the raised cabinets is the usefulness of the counterspace. A blender could actually be used in the space, a coffeemaker filled and run with less steam damage, stuff like that. It just feels like a 30" tall gap would be nicer for an appliance area. I can't use a coffeemaker or blender under a standard mount upper.

Any opinions? I'm going to go figure out the scanner...

Thanks! :)

Comments (15)