SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carekip

What did you do that wasn't trendy?

carekip
9 years ago

I read an article on Houzz about the ideal kitchen in 2014 and it basically said, dark distressed wood floors, white counter tops, white cabinets, white walls, big gas range, farmhouse sink and stainless steel.

We renovated our old home 3 years ago and included these items (except granite was creamy rather than white). Now I feel like they are a bit boring and standard (I loved my kitchen, I just think if you see the same thing in every house it's no longer special).

Anyway, we moved to another state and we are now planning for our new kitchen renovation. This one is from scratch, as we are moving the location of the kitchen, so there will be no old cabs to deal with or anything. I want it to be *my kitchen* rather than something that will appeal to the masses (we designed our last one with resale in mind, because we knew we would be moved soon). I dont want to move out of this house till I'm old, so I am thinking personal. I want to use mexican tiles as the backsplash, no uppers, vintage stove, wood counters, etc. I want lots of light, but lots of color. I was leaning towards white cabinets, but now I wonder if gray or some color would be more fun. I'm working on my husband to let me put in a colorful yellow fridge from the brand Elvira, but might settle for white (hated my stainless because of the cleaning).

Just wondering what other people did in their kitchen that was "not popular"? What did you include that makes it YOUR kitchen?

PS: I've been lurking for ages, but I'm new to posting. So hello!

Comments (71)

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

We have a 2" granite backsplash & I LOVE it!!!

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

Raised panel doors!

• Related Discussions

Would you buy the 'safe' product even it it wasn't ideal?

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, alto I am glad to see you buying US Products, "Wolf", You are not buying it as a "Safe Bet" Unfortunately Consumer Reports still reports on much above average failure rates for both Wolf and Sub Zero, in fact 4 times as many failures for Sub Zero as appliances made by Whirlpool. Now I know there are those that say Consumer Reports is "Biased against" the higher price brands, but we are not talking "Ratings" here, just failure rates as reported by their readers.Checking this site, except for some flaking of the cobalt interior of the Wolf oven---which you aren't getting anyway, We dont see many negative posts about either brand(Wolf or Sub Zero) alto I know of at least one user here, that did have a Suz Zero failure, but really didn't mention it Until was talking about appliances in "General" then casually mentioned the SZ was the only appliance that needed service. Get what makes You happy and what you think will fit your style of cooking--I just didn't want you to be under the misconception that the Wolf was a safer bet than others you mentioned Gary
    ...See More

What were you gung ho about but later realized later it wasn't

Q

Comments (5)
    This may not be quite in the spirit of your question, but when we were younger I wanted a BIG house with ALL the bells and whistles! When I saw a new idea, I wanted to incorporate it -- media rooms? Wow, that's a thing? I need it! A kids' den, a game room -- yes and yes! Oversized eat-in kitchen AND formal dining room. Of course I want those! Now that we're older, I think more about the house as JUST ONE of my priorities, and I think more about opportunity costs, maintenance costs, and cleaning. Now I want something much smaller and more practical. Now I'm much more interested in efficiency and doing things RIGHT instead of just having appealing spaces. The irony: Back when I wanted ALL THAT STUFF I couldn't afford it . . . but now that I could easily afford it, I don't want it.
    ...See More

Did you put in a kitchen that wasn't WHITE?

Q

Comments (150)
    Thanks jstehl for the details of your gorgeous kitchen. I also love all of the matching GE Caf� appliances. I have the Ge Caf� Gas range and I love the function of it and the looks of it. If I was taller, I would have gotten the microwave also but I have problems reaching in the bottom cabinets and I do not want to spill anything on myself. I love the cabinets so much. what is the style door you have? I keep going back and forth between an off-white kitchen and a kitchen with cabinets the color of yours that would look nice with the Brazilian Cherry floors in my other room and the light tiles I chose for the kitchen. I also love your counters, light wood floors for contrast, hardware chosen, backsplash and faucet. Thank you so much for sharing. Are these cabinets frame-less? I love the full overlay look. Do your cabinets go up to the ceiling or is there crown molding on top to the ceiling or not?
    ...See More

Wasn't going to do this again...

Q

Comments (7)
    You will have two plumerias that grow together like a graft. But of course each plant will maintain its own characteristics. There's no sexual reproduction going on, so no sharing of 'DNA'. More likely the weaker one may die and be outgrown and crowded out by the stronger.
    ...See More
  • zeebee
    9 years ago

Bright blue cabinets. About as far from trendy as you can get.

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

My cabinets are white, but more taupe-y/off-white. Full overlay, non-shaker, and glazed (gasp!) on the perimeter, but did do the trendy darker island with shaker doors. Not because it was trendy as much as I knew what white cabinets would look like in an area that was used and abused dailyand I wanted it to be fairly easy to clean and touch up. Countertops,flooring, and open shelving are walnut, no trees were sacrificed, they were already on the ground, locally milled. I have a stainless range, but my dishwasher is black. I got rid of our stainless fridge, because I hated looking at it, and stuck an itty bitty temporary replacement that's white in its place. I'm going panel ready or black if I can find one I like. We have an entire wall of brick. The paint is what some would describe as the 80's dusty rose. I'm calling it rusty, dusty rose. Not sure about lighting or backsplash, but it certainly won't be white subways or glass mosaics.

What we ended up with is a kitchen that somewhat fits our old farmhouse, my dh's love of rustic and wood, and my love of traditional. Everyone's happy.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

If I can't take a single tier of cabinets up to the ceiling, I put in soffits. Nothing that projects over the top of the cabinet: they are almost always flush with the cabinet box, sometimes the door face. But I Never leave open space above the cabinets. One client had open space existing and I had her fill it in.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Not trendy? Just about everything. :) Not really. A lot of basic things are trendy. Your plans sound fab, except the lack of uppers. I wouldn't put uppers over an island or peninsula, and only in front of a window if direly, absolutely necessary, but I can't imagine giving up all that lovely storage space. One of the things I wanted most in my new kitchen was more uppers!!! Unless you meant open shelves? (I count those as uppers.) If you're using Mexican tile for the backsplash, you would do well to pull one of the colors out of that for your cabinets. You can do a tint of the color (i.e., add a lot of white if they're too dark) .

Four years old GW kitchen:

Trendy:
    Trash pullout
    Multiple counter finishes
    Bamboo
    Both knobs and pulls
    Speed oven
    Induction
    Colored grout
    Trough sink
    Kohler Karbon and high arch faucets
    Undercabinet lights
    Plug mold
    Tapmaster
    Windows down to the counters and tiled through
    Eco-friendly products (though not a "green" do, considering all the imports, new vs. reclaimed, etc.)

Ahead of the trend:
    ModernAire hood
    Steam oven
    Corner drawers (don't know if that's a trend but it should be)

Completely out of style anti-trend:
    Brass pulls, knob shafts and hood
    Colored knobs
    Tile counters
    Cast iron sinks (though those seem to be not so out now)
    Orange walls
    Polychrome
    Lots of pattern and texture
    White floor/floor tile that doesn't look like stone
    Indirect lighting
    Art Nouveau accents
    Cutesy switch plate

Neutral:
    Soapstone
    Gas
    Garden window

• magsnj
    9 years ago

One more vote for choosing your own color for the cabinets. I had my choice of any Sherwin Williams color with my cabinet people. I love the way it turned out and I feel pretty confident that its unique and I won't get bored of it. There are so many beautiful colors to choose from to suit what you want the kitchen to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: magsnj kitchen

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

What we've chosen (remodel starts in June):
    Not too trendy:
    -rift sawn white oak floors lightly whitewashed
    -1/4 sawn eucalyptus cabinets and drawers in a light stain, a little darker than the floor
    -wood, not glass, pendant lights
    -SS single bowl sink
    -no huge range or double ovens
    -asian inspired slatted wall to give a sense of privacy to our soon to be more open and more functional kitchen
    -no prep sink

somewhat trendy:
    -gray countertops-though our countertop choice was constrained by our beautiful blue glass kitchen table. we needed a neutral countertop that went well with the blue, that wasn't white as i don't want white, and a gray went best
    -pull down faucet: supposedly trendy but we've had one for years so maybe not trendy?
    -glass backsplash
    -island

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Not trendy-
    recirculating hood
    uppers don't go to the ceiling
    deep rosewood stained cabinets made from ash
    I CHOSE to have a U shaped kitchen
    no BM or SW paint here, I went to Home Depot, picked paint chips and had them mixed in Kilz Pro-X paint
    my appliances don't match and none of them are high end
    I have 2 Frigidaire dishwashers (stainless), a Kenmore range(bisque), a maytag double oven(stainless) and a Kenmore top freezer fridge(white)
    I have no back splash, just paint

No clue if it is trendy or "bad" but my pulls are all a brushed nickel while my faucet and light fixtures are ORB. Speaking of faucet, I have a bridge faucet with side sprayer and a triple bowl under mounted stainless steel sink.

Thankfully I will never be selling this house so the only thing that matters is if I like it, which I do. Well all except the mismatched appliances. I kept my old ones (stove and fridge) and when they die I will replace with stainless (which is trendy) and the stove? It is a standard size 30" freestanding range. Oh yeah, and my microwave sits on the counter and my fridge is not paneled or enclosed.

So yeah, by far my kitchen has very few trendy things.

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

I wish you all would post pics of your "untrendy" kitchens! They sound so interesting!

• browniepie
    9 years ago

Over the range microwave -- gasp!
    Electrical outlets in the backsplash
    Single bowl sink
    Free standing trash can (vs. in the cabinets)

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

I vote for pics too. So many sound amazing!
    Not trendy: a desk area in the kitchen, that for us will be used daily. In our area, our off-white cabinets will be unique. Everyone is doing dark expresso cabs here. Also,no island. No double oven or prep sink. No can lights. We are doing laminate countertops for now, until we can afford what we truly want. No breakfast bar (very trendy where we are). Fridge not framed in w/ side panels, mostly because our budget hit a wall. :-)
    I love the colorful painted cabinets. So unique and gorgeous.

• chrissyb2411
    9 years ago

Let's see.
    4" back splash with quartz (and it's great!).
    Stained maple cabinets
    Swanstone sink
    30" uppers
    Black appliances
    Counter height table set
    Side by side fridge (love it!)
    Only 1 sink.
    And the most untrendy thing of all, my kitchen is all DIY from lowes, homes depot, and amazon. I did price everything out with small local businesses, the price difference was huge and we could not afford them. Service at HD (countertops) was above and beyond.
    I think that's it. Here's a couple pictures of my untrendy, dated kitchen that I adore!

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

My whole-house remodel is taking so long that what was trendy when I started is now not trendy and what I am doing now is not trendy but will be trendy when I finish. At completion, the house will be half trendy and half not trendy, which should end up being just right for us and anyone else who cares to live here :)

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Dark distressed wood floors - No, the opposite, we have ivory Travertine floors

White counter tops - No, we went with a dark granite, Magma Gold

White cabinets - No, cherry base cabinets and mushroom wall cabinets

White walls - Never!!! Walls are a warm tan.

Big gas range - Nope, ditched the double wall ovens for a single slide in range

Farmhouse sink - No, love my Cafe Brown Silgranit Super Single

Stainless steel - Finally, I am on trend with something, lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen

This post was edited by fishymom on Sun, May 25, 14 at 8:35

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

We did the following:

Green cabinets
    Corian counters
    Red tile floors
    Laundry in the kitchen
    Outlets in the backsplash
    Halogen under cabinet lighting - not tape lighting
    Separate kitchen space
    No island
    No big pantry
    Panel front,but not built-in appliances (we did go with a stainless range)
    Microwave on the counter
    Lots of lower cabinets
    Lots of stuff on the counters (hey, we cook and don't want to get stuff out of cabinets every time)
    A curtain over the laundry/storage area (the one in the photo was borrowed from the dining room - the new one is still a bolt of fabric leaning against the wall for the past 2 1/2 years)

Oh, and built in cutting boards

I think that's about it....we love every one of our non trendy choices!

Edited to add more non-trendy stuff!

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Thu, May 22, 14 at 21:22

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I'm still in the planning stages, but I'm leaning towards white cabinets with a gold-y granite. Yes, I know, trendy online and in magazines -- yet I've never once seen it in real life here in my area. I've tried to fall in love with other things, but EVERY TIME I see this combination, my heart just sings. It's going to be "my base".

And we are going with quite a few other things that are oft-discussed, but they're more high-function than trendy:

- A huge pantry
    - Single bowl sink with offset drain
    - Mostly drawers rather than traditional cabinets
    - Open floor plan
    - Cabinets all the way to the ceiling
    - Natural light
    - Pop up shelf for Kitchen Aid mixer

But other things aren't going to be trendy at all:

- NO dull, boring subway tile
    - NO expensive prep sink located only a few feet from the main sink
    - NO oversized commercial appliances
    - NO bar stool seating
    - All cabinets will be the same color
    - Probably sheet laminate flooring; it's cheap and wears like iron, yet it's softer and warmer than tile
    - I've always loved stained glass lighting and will have that above the kitchen table, but no pendants -- I've learned that I don't like "ceiling clutter"
    - Simple chrome faucet
    - Small size -- oversized isn't better; it's just more steps
    - Oh, and we're not hiding our garbage inside a cabinet

This post was edited by MrsPete on Thu, May 22, 14 at 22:07

• carekip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Magsnj
    1929 Spanish:

WOW!! Your kitchens are both so different and beautiful. Thank you for sharing! Actually thanks everyone. I absolutely love questioning why I like something or why I don't. You know I always thought we had to do granite or quartz, but then I stayed at this little hotel in California and adored the tile counters. And I saw someone's white plastic counters (don't know the name) and loved those too! You never know what you'll love till you see it done well. So thank you so much for sharing and please post more pics so I can get inspired!!

Our one thing that's making me a bit nervous is that we actually will have NO uppers. We are using a sunroom for the kitchen and it's all windows. The left wall is ten feet wide and will be the stove /hood wall. Fridge & pantry placement is still TBD. We have one other wall to work with for those.

This post was edited by carekip on Thu, May 22, 14 at 23:44

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Palimpest if you see this I would love to see your kitchen. I miss seeing your advice on kitchens.

We live in an old farmhouse now but will build a new very small house in a few years. I'm an archivist so I love the old stuff and want a kitchen that had the essence of a 'well kept' early 1930s cottage bungalow. They after all very popular in this area along with L and T shaped farmhouses. Color and materials were simple at the time, and.that is one of the things I really love, simplicity. A small, mostly closed off kitchen where I can bake for the farmers market or my little catering gigs. I do not like people being in my kitchen, and I don't care if I'm missing out on the fun. I'm cooking and that is my task at hand.

DH is dead set on wood stained cabinets, and I dream of Sayde's gumdrop cabinets if anyone remembers her kitchen from a few years ago.

I love metal because my grandpa and dad had a metal fabrication business, and I too will learn how to weld-someday. Maybe the counter will be metal, maybe the wall. Something will be metal. Some of the cabinets will be unfitted to get that feeling of an early 20th century kitchen and probably the little swinging decorative doors under the sink.

A sage color would be pretty on the walls. I had it in my bedroom growing up and still love it. I do want a wall of windows for my window ledge herb garden and succulents. I have two Hindu Ropes my 90 year old grandma gave me, and the blooms look like pink, plastic flowers like Barbie would have.

I will probably do a linoleum floor. I do like the checkerboard pattern but the colors will not be black and white.

I like the idea of working with my architect and giving them this description of how I see my kitchen and how the house design should follow.

Sure I will probably put in some stuff that is considered trendy, but non one in this area will know. My sisters call me hopelessly untrendy, and they say it while laughing if that helps. Eh.

Does anyone else feel that a backdplash is one of the major things that dates a kitchen?

• annac54
    9 years ago

We kept and re-finished our partial overlay cabinets a darker cherry sort of color and added new raised panel doors with glazing. Added moderately detailed antique nickel cabinet hardware (previously had none). Put in new green granite countertops. Kept the tile floors we had put in about 8 years ago. Neither one of us is much of a "trendy" type, so it works for us. :)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

1. Granite. Not on-trend in this area.

2. No backsplash.

3. Curtains! (I'm waiting for kitchen curtains to come back ;) )

4. Track lighting.

5. All stainless appliances (on its way out as a trend IMO)

6. Not-ample storage (no uppers)

7. Solid oak fronts (they will be grey stained with prominent grain)

8. Classic natural narrow plank site-finished oak floors

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I will say that, while I can't speak for others, I personally am waiting for a few more things to be finished before I do my reveal.

I am VERY excited to do it though. Everyone I know IRL has also slowly watched it change and develop over the past 9 months so the "wow" shock is completely gone.

I can't wait to post some true before and afters and (fingers crossed) hopefully get some positive responses to all the work we have done.

Thanks to Chrissyb2411 and 1929Spanish, you both have beautiful kitchens!

Chrissy, I am SOOO glad to see someone else who also got their materials from the big box store. My cabs were custom built but everything else (sink, lighting, pulls, faucet, appliances, etc) came from Lowes, Home Depot, 84 Lumber, Sears, etc.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We did raised panel doors, as opposed the the shaker which is so popular today. We went with a light stained maple, instead of white. Laminate counters (I know! Shocking but we liked the low maintenance) While I love beautiful white kitchens, my husband prefers the wood look, and I went with a lighter stain, because our former cabinets were dark and I wanted to lighten and brighten up the kitchen. Our old kitchen was dark oak, recessed panels with light countertops, and we wanted something different. Now our cabinets are light, our countertops are dark and while its not today's trend, it works for us and we love it.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

6 x 6 diagonal tile backsplash, garbage compactor.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

- Oak, raised-front cabinet doors
    - 4" backsplash (painted walls, no tile BS)
    - pull-out cutting board
    - SS double sink, faucet with side spray

I built this kitchen for me. It has terrific storage, and makes good use of a not huge space. We won't be selling for 8 to 10 years, so maybe by then my kitchen will be trendy!

• silvergirl426_gw
    9 years ago

Not trendy - practically everything!
    Recycled cabinets - painted cream - BM Barley walls; 3-inch soapstone backsplash befitting vintage kitchen style; overlay doors; WHITE appliances, again befitting vintage style, including Chambers stove circa 1940 (everything old is old again!); no island; flush mounted fixtures and vintage sconce fixtures (not a can in sight);No subway tiles, no glass tiles; no prep sink -- one sink is enough for me; chrome faucet -- thoroughly 40's; no pendants; SMALL fridge, no French doors. Everything is small.

What is trendy - farmhouse sink; beadboard, but hey there was beadboard in the house.

• melkel31
    9 years ago

Black Distressed cabinets! :) So loving them!! and so not trendy! hard to even find one online in our style - We did get a copper farmhouse sink but I HEART it!!! ;)

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

melkel31, do you have any pics of your kitchen you could post? sounds amazing!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Side-by-side full-depth fridge, the kind that sticks out beyond the cabinets. I was working within the old footprint and didn't have the right space or presence of mind to try to squeeze in a counter-depth.

Put my MW on the counter, the best place in my kitchen for it. Virtually hidden and occupying space that isn't otherwise needed.

Air gap!!!

• ljwrar
    9 years ago

Kept the original tile counter top and old cabinets. Regrouted with epoxy grout to make it easier to clean. Added new cabinets with a plain maple wood counter top. Used an unconventional layout that works really well for us. Used a 300cfm Broan ceiling vent and put my MW on the counter.

• Mgoblue85
    9 years ago

I have a mix as I think some "trends" are just plain (or not so plain) modern conveniences and improvements. Here's what I did that may not be quite as popular today...

No backsplash (except behind the range)
    Double bowl sink
    No prep sink
    Tighter aisle clearances
    Raised panel doors
    Darker stained cabinets
    No pendants
    No uppers or open shelving (to compensate for the dark cabs and make the kitchen appear bigger)
    Debating a pot rack

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Not trendy: 1 sink and a slide in range. Ceiling fan.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

We do have white cabinets, but that is the only thing on the "trendy" list that we have. Also, keep in mind that I went for a quasi-retro look.

No farm sink
    No prep sink
    No pot filler
    No recessed or pot lights, all schoolhouse fixtures
    No pullouts in pantry cabinets
    No bar stool seating
    No open shelving
    No garbage disposal (never had one, not common here)
    Peninsula instead of island
    SIngle color cabinets (trendy white)
    Linoleum floor (Forbo Asian Tiger)
    4 inch quartz backsplash (will be adding ceramic beadboard behind cooktop only)
    White freezer top refrigerator
    White dishwasher
    White glass Ikea wall oven (just one!)
    Black electric cooktop with SS trim (My color matching theory here is that the cooktop is a horizontal plane, not vertical like the rest of the appliances, so it could be black.)
    Microwave sits on a counter
    Cast iron single undermount sink, not of bathtub proportions
    Side sprayer instead of pullout faucet
    Outlets/switches in backsplash, and damn glad to have them
    Basic lazy susan, worlds better than the 42" blind cabinet
    Freestanding garbage can
    Large silicone drying mats, placed upside down live on both sides of cooktop
    Drainboard lives on countertop (just sayin')

• formerlyflorantha
    9 years ago

We expanded and gutted old kitchen (1950s tract house in a working class neighborhood). We decided to maximize our dollar and ignore fashion. Our goals were 1) no saying "excuse me" when more than one works in the room 2) usable when I'm 80+ yrs old 3) a cook's kitchen and convenient design for processing and packaging garden produce, game, etc. 4) a second sink at least large enough to hold a pumpkin. When we had to decide between choices, we chose to emphasize ecology issues, quality design, and infrastructure (beams, electrical connections, non-collision walkpaths, efficiency, etc).

We chose very affordable oak custom cabs, self-installed oak floor, white appliances and sink (included 4 existing appliances, three of which are still in the room and a range which would be here except I found a great scratch and dent double-oven white range on Craig's List). We got more room and more lighting because we were fine with laminate countertops, old appliances, minimal backsplash, .... you get the idea.

We ignored trends of...
    --recessed lights
    --microwave over range
    --all blind corners having lazy susans
    --cutting boards that have to be lifted out of a cabinet
    --fancy crown moldings
    --range hood that is oversized in power in relation to cooking demands

Regrets...didn't do enough investigation of new types of windows and didn't investigate cork flooring.

We did this 4 yrs ago. I'm very pleased that we were so successful...people say "I love working in this kitchen" not comments like "what beautiful granite!" which I would put in same category as "I like your nailpolish." Hearing what is popular today, it's clear that not that much has changed since I was a regular participant on this forum. The longer this standard kitchen (described at top) is fashionable, the more it will become passé once styles change. And they will inevitably change.

P.S. I don't understand "farm sinks." They are currently a valuable selling point for real estate according to decorating shows on t.v. , but they intrude into a kitchen design visually and they make a cold surface to lean into if you do a lot of work at the sink. They are not historic but are sold as if they are "old timey."

• crl_
    9 years ago

I totally understand farm sinks. I had one and it was much more comfortable for me to use.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I formulated a reply to this thread days ago and never submitted my response! but here it is on my PC, so I might as well.....

"The best way to avoid "trendy" look is to do more of an "un-fitted" look. jennifer132's kitchen is much like that, not that I think she was going for that look but it looks great, very personal and unique.

To avoid "trends" is a somewhat unfair stance to take, because some "trends" (white cabs, dark wood floors, for example,) are trends that really aren't; they have, instead, withstood the test of time and serve a function or purpose rather than just being decorative.

So what trendy thing did I do? I decided to go with a tile backsplash instead of paint or painted beadboard. I just loved it so much and feel like it will bring my kitchen all together even though it is purely decorative. My DH wanted not-laminate so we got quartz. But really, are those who are putting in gorgeous butcher block succumbing to a trend? Or are the choosing something both time-tested and beautiful?"

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I do agree that some things that are considered trendy at the moment are in some cases real improvements in design. Some things are not new at all, but simply newly appreciated (or once again available) after being supplanted by a trend.

I grew up in a 1920's era house with its nickel bath fixtures. Now I have nickel again after decades of polished chrome.

I remember when black appliances were the trendy, new & modern thing to have. This was after the avocado and harvest gold era. At the time I had SS wall oven and cooktop, both pre-1980 and who knows just how much pre. I missed the SS, especially on the cooktop. Very glad to have my SS appliances again -- no worries about chipped enamel or deep scratches that can't be polished out.

My circa 1955 kitchen that I just tore out had painted cabinets and pull-out trays in the lowers, just not very good ones. It also had a single bowl SS sink. So these were replaced with drawers, good pullout trays in the pantry, and a larger SS single bowl sink with the drain offset. Function much improved!

Are recessed LED lights a trend? but they are also a vast improvement over the flourescents they replaced.

Guess I am getting a bit off topic. I did paint my new cabinets, but not really white, the walls are blue-green, and my granite is a grey-black, no backsplash, and I refinished the original 1942 pine floor ( I guess this was a trendy move, though, since it was also originally covered with linoleum) but in a medium tone. Oh, my cabs are shaker full overlay, but I really have wanted shaker for 40 years!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My biggest trendy item was my farmhouse sink that I love! I have a pendant over my tiny island and over my sink.

My non trendy items:
    Peninsula with cabinets over it.
    My cabs are stained not white.
    My cabinets are beaded and glazed.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I have a kitchen that many responders probably would consider to be pretty trendy.... I fully embrace that.

My least trendy elements:
    white cabinets: they replaced white cabinets, which replaced white cabinets. At one point in the home's 75 year history they were mint green, cream, and white. The door style is the closet I could come to some of the original built-ins without doing a custom door.
    corner sink: but is a farmhouse style - so much better and more comfortable
    undercabinet lighting: this is a functional innovation, like a DW, not a trend.
    garbage disposal: this is a functional innovation

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Gooster, you make a great point. IMHO, to a great extent, the house (it's vintage and location) dictates whether a finish is "trendy."

The original kitchen in my modest 1929 NYC suburburban house had white subway tile, creamy white trim and cabinets, and it had wallpaper! We found all 3 elements buried under more recent changes by precious owners. Other than 1 banister and wood floors throughout, the house had no natural or stained wood. There also wasn't complex or ornate ceiling molding in the house, just a coved plaster ceiling in the drm. So a creamy white kitchen with white subway tile was not "trendy" for me.

Greenhaven thanks for your kind words about my small kitchen. I think it was favorably considered here because we so obviously improved function (modern conveniences) while keeping the form and finish true to the house.

We were trendy in how we approached the remodel. We tried to reuse, preserve, and donate. We used recycled materials when possible. We fixed and repaired rather than just ripping out and getting new for "newness." 3 appliances were dead before we replaced them. We opted for energy and space efficient new appliances.

We picked modern convenience trends that made sense for us (ceasarstone countertop, soft close drawers/doors, speed oven, dw drawers) but opted to forgo other trends that weren't as important to us or didn't fit our house, eg recessed lights, pull down faucet, farmhouse sink.... Since everything isn't on trend, the overall kitchen doesn't seem so trendy.

• mwkbear
    9 years ago

We did a minor kitchen remodel in our circa 1900 classic Four Square colonial. Our kitchen has a breakfast nook, and it gave me the idea that I wanted to do a 50's diner look.

So, I bought a reproduction diner booth with the sparkly vinyl booth seats and the chrome edged formica table. We painted the ugly wood cabinets a cheery lemon yellow. We put black and white peel and stick tiles in a checkerboard pattern over the old vinyl floor. My one big splurge was to buy a Big Chill retro refrigerator in Cherry Red, because it sits in the middle of the room and it's really a focal point.

Our kitchen looks nothing like the granite/stainless/cherry kitchens that all of our friends have. That was the point :)

This post was edited by mwkbear on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 14:17

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

mwkbear- your kitchen sounds awesome! Do you have any pics?

• sandesurf
    9 years ago

Black appliances and otr microwave! Oh my!

Oh, and we have OAK cabinets! :)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I would so love a cherry red refrigerator!

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

My whole house is not trendy in that it is over 300 years old!

Raised Panel Doors
    Wide Pine Floors
    No Island
    One sink
    One oven
    Black iron hardware
    Kitchen Table
    Apothecary chest
    Hutch (on way)
    No farm sink
    No tapmaster
    So far no backsplash- probably will be beadboard
    Table lamps in some spots - No pendants

Trendy:
    Induction
    Marble
    Paneled appliances
    Lots of drawers
    Corner drawers like Pilllog's

Neutral:
    Pewter faucet
    Under-counter lighting - but not halogen
    White plastered walls
    Wood painted hood

• TheCopperSmith
    9 years ago

I think copper farmhouse sinks are the easiest way to take a kitchen from average to amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: World CopperSmith

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

What a great post! I am still working on my kitchen due to set backs with my teeth, my Maltese health declining, needing to order a new car as my lease was ending and dealing with the insurance company still on the floor damage for all of downstairs. I am also dealing with extensions.

But by waiting, I can now see that how everything in the kitchen fits together is more important than a shade of white. I can't wait to share what I end up doing. Gooster's kitchens is one of my favorite ones. Some trends are just worth doing and others are not which each one of us has to choose what works for us.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 18:27

• shadey
    9 years ago

Hmm. I am doing my kitchen reno now. I struggle with the same.

I ended up with off white (Montery white) cabs because I was afraid I would get sick of a color! Refinished existing white oak floors and chose Tsung Oil over Poly. It is beautiful! No pendants (I have a skylight over the island and that would be busy) Soapstone counters because I had it before and LOVED it. Undermount stainless sink because I loved my old soapstone sink, but wanted to try something different. Wood top on the island -- maybe chestnut or red oak. Stainless appliances because I like them and always have, not because of trendiness. My mom had a stainless fridge in 1965. Undecided on the backsplash, but it will not be those itty bitty mosaic tiles. Something that blends in and is serene and easy to clean.

Since I got a bit whimpy with white cabs, I am going to pick a strong wall color and not do the ceilings white -- just haven't gotten there yet!

Shadey

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

carekip- Your dreams sound lovely! Congratulations on the new place and the chance to create something you will love! We're just getting started, too, and like you, I want to be rid of the SS range. DH is fighting me hard on it, but I want white appliances. *gasp!*

• CTN30
    9 years ago

Some of this is hard to evaluate, particularly the white cabinets. As has been discussed a lot here, white cabinets seem to be "new and trendy" in some areas, but "longtime classic that happens to be popular right now" in others. We live in an area where the latter is the case, so I'm not viewing the fact that I'm painting cabinets white to be trendy, per se. But anyway:

dark distressed wood floors - No, our wood floors are the rather standard "medium" finish oak, and I am perfectly fine with them. I think the really dark floors are one of those things that are going to wind up looking really dated really fast.

white counter tops - No, we're going with honed jet mist granite (which, in fairness, could also be viewed as trendy I suppose).

white cabinets - Yes, but as I said above, I view them as more classic than trendy

white walls - Sort of. Wall color (and our kitchen is totally open to dining/sitting, so I had to pick a color that would work overall) is more of a very light beige/cream. So not white white, but not a bold color

big gas range - Absolutely, and I can't wait.

farmhouse sink - No. I wanted one, but since we're not doing a full gut and are using existing cabinets, it would have been kind of a pain to install

stainless steel - yes. I have rather mixed feelings on this one. I'm fine with stainless steel, but don't love it in a House Hunters sense of "I NEED MY STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES". The range we ordered is a Blue Star, and I kind of wanted to go with one of the fun color options. But on the other hand, I wouldn't say that this is our "forever" house, and I do want to keep resale in mind. I may order a set of colored knobs eventually, though - I want obnoxious lime green ones to pay homage to the 70s era formica in my childhood home.

Other things:

Backsplash - I am doing subway tiles, but not white. That's where I'm bringing in some color, and am currently trying to decide between Fireclay's "nautical" and "crater lake" blues.

The current cabinetry is raised panel. I'm about 75% sure that we're just painting (there is a chance we may replace just the doors with shaker style, which would be my preference, but budget plays a role). Even though the shaker is my preference, I won't be crushed if it doesn't happen and we stick with the raised panel. I don't really view raised panel as dated, I think of it as classic. I also think of shaker as classic, though, because it is.

We are turning an existing peninsula into an island, but it's to improve flow/create a more circular floor plan, not because it's trendy.

No built in microwave drawer.

Keeping existing fridge which isn't counter depth. So yeah, it isn't as perfectly flush and sleek as it could be, but it holds groceries for a family, plus a collector-level amount of craft beer, so it's staying.