SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Using CL for cabinets in a low budget remodel?

smaloney
13 years ago

I'm trying to revamp my small galley kitchen (7.5x12ft) that is open at both ends to other rooms. I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible - around $15k ideally, so I have set aside all my ambitions for anything as gorgeous as what folks here seem to do. If I could afford it, I have the option of expanding the room lengthwise into what what was probably the dining room in the house's original configuration (it is at the front of the house, so is open to the foyer as well as staircase to the second floor.) Even if I had a larger budget, there's really no option for expanding width wise because of the placement of the furnace. My hope is to keep this as simple as possible, in part by not moving appliance locations, etc.

Cabinets seem like the toughest part of doing this on a budget: how to get enough, of reasonable enough quality, without blowing the entire $15k right there. I don't want to use Ikea for a variety of reasons - I know all the good stuff, but I'm just not sold on the style, and since I'd need an installer anyway the cost savings are not as great as they might seem. I've been pricing out the big box stores, but I've also started checking Craigs List and occasionally seen interesting ads = from contractors looking to sell new cabinets from cancelled jobs, from cabinet stores looking to sell display models, etc. I don't want to buy anything used, but I'm wondering what people think about the possibility of buying really nice new cabinets that were custom made for another house/layout vs. buying something low-budget like American Woodmark from HD or Lowes? Would an installer be likely to be able to match the color for trim pieces and filler? What other issues should I consider - or should I just drop this idea altogether? Thanks for any advice!!

Comments (12)