SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robbie3056

Step children and help raising them!

robbie3056
18 years ago

I have been married for about two years now with my wife, her daughter, my step daughter, and our own son. My step daughter is around 9 years old and our son is 16 months old. I have absolutley no experience with raising kids other than what I learn on a daily basis and from what I can remember from being a kid myself, though it was a long time ago.

My step daughter is in the fourth grade and at this early age she is already showing signs of a stressed out college student. She complains about the amount of homework she gets daily and she stays up til around 7 p.m. each night to complete it. She is also having problems with the other kids in school on a social level. My wife and step daughter are very much alike personality wise. They are both very friendly to others and are willing to go out on a limb for others even though those people wouldn't do the same. I, on the other hand, have been in law enforcement for around 15 years and have a totally different outlook on life. I try to teach my step daughter that if kids are mean in school, then leave them alone and dont try to change the way they feel or behave. My daughter is willing to take the abuse from other kids though because she wants to be nice to others and show them that being a nice person is the best route. I think that is a admirable trait in a person, but, I also don't want to see my daughter getting hurt by others and becoming an emotional basketcase at the same time. She is only nine years old and hasn't even gotten into the teen years yet!

My step daughter had been without a male figure in her life for the first five years until I came into the picture. I also have a stronger personality than anyone else in my family and it is driving me crazy to watch my daugher go through what she is going through. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or say to her? I really want my daughter to succeed and to feel that her social skills are in line with the other girls her age.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH