SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_jane10

Need help with step daughter, unusual situation

mary-jane
17 years ago

I'm in an unusual situation. My husband raised his daughter on his own, my SD's mum died when she was a few months old. I came into their lives when she was 14. She basically hated me from the start and never hid it. Her dad brought her up allowing her own free will, which means he won't tell her anything about her behaviur because he won't intefere with another person's will. Also I couldn't say anything to her as my husband would get very distressed with me if I did. Her behaviour is totally unacceptable on every level, I think as a result of not being told how to behave with people she has no social skills, at least not towards me. Almost from day one her intention was to separate me from her dad while she was around. She didn't want my presence while she was with her dad. This was ridiculous as we were living in the same home. I made every effort to be warm and giving to her. I put a huge amount of energy into helping her early on with her interests, I even made a DVD & a website for her. All were treated with total disinterest or anger. The trouble escalated over 3 years by which time she left home to live with her boyfirned & his parents. It didn't end when she left home, she got her boyfirned on side (& his family) against me & her dad. Finally her boyfriend walked into my workplace & after knowing him for 2 years and only ever having friendly talks with him, as he walked in I smiled at him - and he hit me in the face. It has totally changed my view of people for all time I can tell you. It was a year ago & I still haven't got over the shock. My husband & I sold up and left town. My husband believed leaving was better than taking SD on about he behaviour. As I said a year has passed. They have talked on the phne about once a month & now they write to each other on the net. He loves his daughter obviously, but to be honest I'm afraid of her. I believe she will do anything to get what she wants, without thought of my or my husband's welfare. She's now nearly 19. My husband is getting more involved again with her. Of course I'd rather have nothing to do with someone who caused me to be physically attacked, but I can't say that to my husband. In fact I can hardly say anything. My husband is very defensive about the whole subject, and believes the best way is not to say anything, except what SD wants to hear to keep them happy & leave us in peace. In my experiecne this is what caused the trouble in the frst place. I just don't know what to do. I can see at some point sh'ell return in our lives & I can't believe she'll be different - she still doesn't even know my full name.

Comments (4)