SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stepdad_steve

Greetings&Looking For a Little Insight w/SD

StepDad_Steve
20 years ago

Hi Folks! I am new to this forumn. It is a pleasure to join you all. I would sincerely like some points of view and some encouragement with the current situation with my 14 year old SD. I came into SD's life when she was 5 years old, and SD was living with her mother fulltime. Her mother and I married after several years of dating with the strong encouragement of the SD. I have done everything a father does for a daughter, you name it! This is the only child we will raise, and thus SD is an only child in our home. Everything was fine and mostly enjoyable up until SD hit 13 yrs and in the 7th grade. First, her BioFather lives 1,500 miles away, does not see her more than twice a year, and always acts like a kid buddy when he calls, never like a parent or adult. BioFather is always joking around and buying SD expensive gifts, etc. to buy her affection. We had to hold some important boundaries with SD this last year such as limiting her clothing choices to things that were acceptable in the public school (SD ended up in the principal's office for slutty clothing problems), now in the 8th grade (age 14) she was not doing her homework and must now have weekly reports brought home on Fridays in order to have weekend privileges, and worst of all we caught her sneaking out of the house once at night for 6 hours so she was grounded for a while. We have carefully explained to her why we have the rules we have, and what our expectations are. Reasonable, right? Well, now we find out that SD is working with BioFather to move down to his home, and that she Hates us totally, and wants BioFather to go to court to get custody etc. She especially hates me as her StepFather as tells her friends how much I am ruining her life and that she "doesn't get along with me" etc. This really hurts since I have been the one to do everything for her a father does since the age of 5! SD now acts very angry most every day towards her mother and me, rarely talks to me at all, and tells her mother she hates her and wants to go live with her dad who will not have the rules we have and will let her have anything she wants." SD's BioFather is not at all responsible, has live-in girlfriend, poor values, and travels with his work constantly so SD will be very unsupervised with no limits. My wife and her ex do not talk to each other very often as the ex steamrolls her with anger in the conversations. How worried should I be with the monthly visits that are now taking place with BioFather, and the strong plotting going on for SD to move down there. We will not allow it. And most important, is there a future for me in all of this? This is the only daughter I will raise and I love her very much. It is SD's attitiude that is limiting our relationship, and SD will not even speak to me most days. This is all so strange, and such a complete change in my relationship with SD. Any experience or ideas as to what the best way to handle this is, and if there is a joyous future relationship ahead for SD and I would be very much appreciated. I am certainly experiencing this for the first time. Thanks for your sincere interest in my situation, I really appreciate your support. Steve

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus