SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

Please Help me with Website Questions.

kompy
11 years ago

Hi homeowners....I own and operate a kitchen dealership in the midwest. I am revamping my website this year. Please help me out with a few questions. I need your valuable input.

1. What are the most important things you are looking for when visiting a kitchen dealer's website??? (ie. portfolio, testimonials, prices, product info?)

2. What bothers you about most sites you visit?

3. What do you like best about some sites you have seen?

4. Do sites give you enough info or sometimes overwhelm with too much info?

5. Any other comments are appreciated!!!!

Thanks, KOMPY

Comments (22)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm a professional shopper, who does eventually buy.

I do NOT want to pick up the phone. No live chat (no one types fast enough and repeating my own, written question pisses me off -- BOA, are you listening?), and I hate submitting questions.

I look for prices, and I'm OK with the disclaimer that there might be desired details that will change the pricing. I need ball parks. When I'm sure, then I want the actual quote, which I prefer to form in or email.

I hate lots of pics that aren't big enough.
    I HATE 10 on a page, and 100 pages to click through. Just VIEW ALL and get it over with. Lighting stores are the WORST, as is Houzz.

Finished kitchens are cool, but give me some close-up details. Not pop-ups, java or Flash, just big pics. OH! And tell me what the details are. The molding is... The profiles, end panels, etc. Links to them on your site where I could price or order is GREAT.

If I'm doing an online quote, include all the options in the drop-down menu. Barkerdoor is pretty good at much of this. I understand we're talking major database organization here, but if it's all in one place, I'm more likely to come back and buy.

Example: I want Shaker, beaded inset doors.
    On some of my cabs, I want beaded frames.
    What's the bead? 1/4" 3/8"?
    Rail & stile widths
    All edge profiles
    All panel profiles
    All panel options (grooved, mdf, etc)
    All hinge options
    All wood choices
    Routed handles?
    Routed for glass? if so, glass choices.
    If I need these defined, a nice link with a new window defining them is just fine, because I can go back and forth.

I like not having to fill in my person info every darn time I adjust my quote sheet.

There isn't too much info, it's a question of who takes the time to read it. A lot of fine print is a PIA, but links to specific areas are nice. The Cabinet Joint.com is one I've now bought from twice. Their explanations link to specific parts of their brochure, rather than directing me to the entire brochure I have to weed through. Not only is their quote form good, but their email service (Brian) is exceptional. Exceptional.

Oh. I hate menus where my mouse rolls over them and they expand, but I have to click something to get rid of them. I use a touch pad and my thumbs move my mouse all the time. This seems to be a new design fad.

I gotta tell you, to design a page with all the options I've described will cost you millions. I do minor web design and know whereof I speak. However, with the right exposure and good design, yours could be as popular as Sherr's, Kraftmaid, and some others. Sherr's doesn't show enough details per page. Too much clicking. But their products are great, so I/we keep looking.

I am interested to see your site. I'm always looking for more stuff I don't know I need to save for.

Good luck!

• kompy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your input freeman. However, just so you know...I am a small mom and pop shop that has been in the biz for 30years. We are small. 3 designers. between $1-$1.5 Million in sales a year. Most of what we sell is 'middle road/semi-custom'.

I mainly want to get leads and provide helpful information for my local clients....and introduction to my business, who we are and what we offer.

As to ordering online....we have not got in to that....yet. I have considered doing that with one of my less expensive lines for local purchases only. A line that would allow people to buy cabinets doing their own planning and designing. Low margins for me...but no work and a great price for my customers.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

As I mentioned, all I talked about would be optimum.

One of the mistakes small shops make is listing their supplies with links to their sites. You don't want people to leave your site, you want them to shop. Or contact you for what you offer.

As far as allowing people to buy, then you move into shopping carts, quotes, designing, etc.

When I go to a site that doesn't have prices or at least options, or I can't see the pics, I don't go back.

You'll figure out a middle ground. :)

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

hey kompy... I bought ALOT online for my kitchen remodel and did 3 years worth of research so I think I can give some pretty good input.
    1. Good graphics, the ability to see the cabs in some kind of interactive layout and change the color/style of the cabs to what I want. Absolutely prices. I do not want to call everyplace I'm looking at online. If I'm looking at your site... I'm also looking at at least 3 others. If possible, filters. AJ Madison does a great job of this on applicances. Bellacor or Lighting Universe are some examples of home decor/lighting places that do it well in that venue. Specs... I want specs. Now, I admit I may be more TKO/technical/involved then the average homeowner; but most of us here are.

2. what bothers me most is when they ask me to submit personal info for a quote.

3.I liked the interactive sites bests. Some flooring and cab sites had components where you could pick a kitchen layout and change out door fronts/colors/counters with a choice of stock patterns. For someone newer to the notion of kitchen remodeling...it's fun to play with and given the choice to spend time on your site or someone elses... they'll choose the one that's most fun.

4. Never too much info for me but I liked the research part of this process almost as much as I enjoyed the remodel itself.

Hope that was helpful!

• kompy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My dream is to do an online kitchen calculator for ballpark purposes only. I think most homeowner just want to know 'what does a new kitchen cost'? I would do a budget line and semi-custom, with or without installation....and some other add-ons, like appliances, backsplash...etc. I think that would give people a good range of price info to decide for themselves if they want to proceed.

Being that we are specialized...designing and overseeing complicated kitchen remodels....we would not consider online buying for anything, other than budget, quick ship type cabinets.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Hi kompy,

I'll answer!

I love seeing photos. A lot of photos. Of varying styles.

I do appreciate prices being listed. But then again, I'm not someone who sees a price and think that price will apply to me. But some sort of pricing guide would be nice.

Product info on the products you carry, and not just links to the company's sites.

I am bothered by sites that don't have information! I go to the site to gather a lot of information, and for it to just be a "home page", makes me lose interest vs pumping me up to contact them.

I would like to see "options" that are offered by the cabinet company. Something about all the bells and whistles that are hidden behind drawers.

I think it would be cool to see a photo of a kitchen, and you can click on doors and drawers and see what is inside of them...like baking pan dividers, or stacked utensil drawers, or the lazy susans, etc.

Not sure any of this helps,
    Bee

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Larger photos and close ups.

Show price ranges if possible. I don't want to come into your store only to find out your prices are way over my budget.

Show real kitchens. I need to feel you can design my kind of kitchen.

Some show kitchens that have all the bells and whistles. Tons of molding, every storage option there is, the room totally filled with cabinets with no empty spaces. Hope you get the picture of what I'm descibing.

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Hi, Kompy. Thanks for asking! Good luck with the website upgrade. As someone who shops mostly local, here's what I want on a local dealer's site:

- Location (with link to map) and hours on the front page, not buried in "about us" or "contact." It's amazing how hard some local businesses make it to find them.

- No glitzy, fancy animations, "splash pages," or Flash. (OT rant: Local restaurants are the worst for this. It takes what seems like forever for the site itself to load, then it takes forever to page through to a menu. I could have made dinner in the time it took to place a takeout order last night.)

- Lots of photos of client projects, categorized by room, with close ups on the items you actually sell, and a product list so I know what I'm looking at.

- One simple page telling your business's story. I shop local for a reason. I want to know about the people (owners and workers), personalities, and commitment behind the products I buy. Some local businesses even mention some of the companies they partner with or refer work to, which is helpful.

- One simple page telling about your company's other contributions to the community. Do you support local charities, schools or community events? To you belong to the Chamber, green building association, or other local associations? This matters to some of us. (Also, if you have a specific person to contact about sponsorships or donations, make that process clear. If you don't accept unsolicited requests because you support only one cause or agency, just say so.)

- No more than one page that has "news" or other info that you have to update regularly. It's frustrating to find outdated info three pages deep.

- Or, perhaps make your webpage completely static (like a brochure) and just update it a few times a year, and instead use social media to build community and loyalty. Facebook is so easy to update, and so many people are on it. In my neck of the woods, there's a tight circle of locally-owned businesses that cross-promote one another and build buzz about each others' events. For example, a new restaurant opened in my neighborhood, and they had 30 people standing outside their door on their first day, and have been packed ever since, because they got so much promotion from their coffee roaster, the farmer's market, the bakery that supplies their bread, etc. I've picked up many local items on sale because of a FB update or "the next person who writes on our wall gets 50% off," and that kind of thing. Every time I mention a business or "like" something on their page, that business gets free advertising to my 350+ friends.

- Biggest tip: Rather than spending a lot of $ on a fancy website, make it simple (Wordpress is super easy to setup), and spend your time or a web guru's time to make really robust "search engine optimization." It's frustrating when I google a local business, and their website doesn't even show up on the first search page. Instead, what comes up are Yelp and a lot of bogus directories. A little SEO goes a long way to help me find you quickly.

Hope that helps!

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

hi Kompy,
    Answering as a shopper and also from the standpoint of now working in kitchen design (part time at a showroom)...
    I don't want to see "canned" photos from the manufacturer... if you show photos I think they should be actual jobs that you've done.
    I think a "getting started" tab is a good idea to sort of demystify the process. Tell people to take some dimensions (and which dimensions they'll need) of their space so that you can work up a ballpark quote based on existing conditions.
    In terms of working with your potential future customers, give them an idea of things they should be thinking of that you'll need to know that will impact the overall design: will they be adding on, building out, just replacing what's existing, moving or replacing windows and doors, time to consider appliances - built in refrigeration or not - sinks, etc.
    I was thinking if I were ever on my own operating my own business I'd like to do "case studies" - take each kitchen on its own and show before pictures, discuss what the goals/problems were, then show after pictures and discuss the thinking you used to solve the problems. The cabinets are a commodity but your years of experience and design abilities aren't so this type of set-up on a website would sell your unique abilities vs. boxes.
    You might go through the construction details of the various lines you sell - plywood construction or not, soft close, etc. People seem to ask about this.
    I know from working for a while that its sort of hard to give ball park figures as so much of it depends on how extensive the project is and even if it is just cabinets it depends on whether its full overlay or inset, fancy door or no-upcharge door, wood species, plywood construction upgrade, etc. etc. --- not too sure how to convey pricing for this reason.
    I really like Susan Serra's website - if you haven't checked it out it has a lot of good ideas for you to consider. She links to her blog from it as well which is a different animal.

HTH

• sweeby
    11 years ago

Hi Kompy -

I'm not in the market at present, but as an old-timer, and someone who sees your name in Kitchen & Bath Design news every so often, I feel like I know you --

What about including a link to this site? There is so much great information here for people wanting to remodel their kitchens that sending folks here would be a public service. Also, you've got an excellent reputation here - a celebrity of sorts - that it would provide instant credibility also.

I'm an information junkie... I'd love to see the lines of cabinetry you carry with links for specific pieces and sizes.

I would also appreciate some text about the value a professional designer can bring to the process -- space planning, avoiding costly mistakes, analyzing cost-benefit trade-offs, knowing what construction options are expensive or not, and how to make a budget kitchen look like a million bucks.

Gorgeous photos are nice, but IMO, misleading. So often in the construction business, the photos aren't actually of work done by that firm. It's wonderful to have inspiration photos that inspire -- So do you select the most jaw-droppingly beautiful kitchens and risk the impression that your services are unaffordable? Or mid-range kitchens or jobs your firm has done that don't inspire as much?

Ballpark pricing would be fabulous -- but what would be especially nice is some clarity on what Budget, Mid-Priced and Upscale look like and what the differences are that contribute to the drastically different price ranges: things like stacked crown molding, light rails, paneled ends, glazes and distressing, applied moldings, beads, insets.

What about a hand-drawn sketch of a simple Budget kitchen cabinet run -- full overlay raised-panel doors with a simple crown. Then upgrade that sketch to Mid-Range by adding glaze, light rail, drawer-bases, finished ends. Then upgrade to High-End with applied moldings, paneled ends, wine cubbies or leaded glass doors. You know -- illustrate the possibilities?

• joaniepoanie
    11 years ago

This may seem like a no-brainer, but make the website light and bright with appealing colors. If I go to a website that has a black background and pink or blue print for example, I leave it immediately...no matter how great the prices or how much I am interested in the product....it's just too harsh on the eyes and difficult to read. There aren't a lot of these, but enough to notice.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Christine mentioned she doesn't like Chat. I love Chat. Easy to get a quick answer, I like to be able to cut and paste an item # into the chat window and ask a question. I get frustrated when I can't find the Chat button easily!

Like Sweeby said, I had thought about suggesting a link to GW too. Why not? There is so much information here, it would only make your customers more informed when they come in to order.

• rosie
    11 years ago

I don't have in-depth kitchen shopping experience, but in all subjects I stay at and return to sites that are very helpful. A site that would make me grateful and receptive would be an enabling one. (So many are careful not to give information to force people to call, but I never do if there's another option.)

One that can turn a confused and unsure person daydreaming about a new kitchen into an excited, enthused project planner by replacing that uncertainty with some solid ideas about what is possible economically, what is liked stylewise, and enough information on standard sizes and types of cabinets and inserts to move forward to the delightful business of planning what is now seen to be achievable. One with your faces and names smiling out over phone numbers on the first page, never too busy to answer questions, no questions too dumb. Implied, of course. :)

If you can't afford an interactive kitchen designer utility, how about pages of cabinet and appliance outlines (with dimensions) that can be printed, cut out and laid out on a table? The trick to all such resources is completeness. All the sizes and ancillary pieces you offer in your lines, filler pieces and explanations of where they're most often needed, etc. Enough solid information simply presented and easily found that even though people inevitably move on to browse other sites they come back to you again and again for answers to questions.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I have been impressed by your combination of practicality, creativity and willingness to work within a budget. I'm kinda allergic to KD's because of local experiences, but I have appreciated your comments of the years. You know I'm a serial kitchen offender.

1. What are the most important things you are looking for when visiting a kitchen dealer's website??? (ie. portfolio, testimonials, prices, product info?)

Very simple things - Where is the show room, what are its hours, if I have questions, who do I call? The company is a dealer for which manufacturers, links to those manufacturers? If you have special certifications or did something like work on a local landmark.

I like portfolios of the company's own work, but testimonials not so much. The problem being the internet is the land of make-believe and its difficult to recognize what is actually true - even the word testimonial makes me suspicious. Photos, renderings and floor plans are your best testimonial for me.

2. What bothers you about most sites you visit?

I mean, I need to watch this too - but the tone of some sites! Some speak like customers are puppies. Some give the impression that I am not worthy of design services if I ain't buying a Subzero. On the other hand, I think its fine to say that you only do high end kitchens or state a minimum job. That saves me the drive without offense.

Any flashing, popping, neon, blinking and sounds. Things like excessive offers to chat or register just to become your lead - particularly in a popup or something that stays in the same relative position on the screen as it scrolls. Slow transitions of photos is fine, but moving banners are not.

3. What do you like best about some sites you have seen?

They are clear about their identity and their customers.
    They appear simple and easy to use.
    The information is organized with low clutter (let me stick a faucet in there just cause I like it).

4. Do sites give you enough info or sometimes overwhelm with too much info?

It's not possible to provide tmi. It is possible to provide too much per page or lead with detail instead of a summary - ok, I'd actually still read it all.

Other thoughts...

I think "What does a kitchen cost?" can be addressed with low, middle, high mini-case studies highlighting differences in materials and extent of remodel. Better cost information would manage expectations a bit.

Too many people have no idea of what kitchens cost and I remember being that green and having no way to find out. Bizarrely, if you ask most kds roughly what it costs, they answer by asking your budget. This has the unfortunate effect of making me feel that they will deliver whatever uses it all up.

I don't think I'd react the same way to being asked if I was thinking modest, moderate or high-end.

• texaspenny
    11 years ago

I have just started my kitchen research and one thing that has been a huge stumbling block is having no idea what things cost. So many design websites only show HUGE kitchens with fancy finishes. It's really hard to find a 'normal' kitchen and to have any concept of what that kitchen cost to complete. I think the earlier suggestions of explaining budget, mid-range, high end would be very beneficial. Or, showing completed kitchens and say this kitchen cost $15,000, this one was $25,000, this one is $60,000 and explaining what went into causing those differences. It's hard to understand with kitchens how all the little upgrades can really add enormously to the price.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I agree with others that it's hard to give too much information. I always wonder why web site information is often so sparse - it's not like you're paying by the word.

I'd want to know what brands you carry. If the brands have good websites, you can link to those.

I'd love to see professionally-photographed pictures of kitchens you've done with lots of details - the cabinet brand, style, finish, the countertop, the sinks, the hardware, room dimensions, etc. If you can give a price range for the cabinets, that would help, too.

I'd make sure to tell why you're the one for the job - tell how long you've been doing this, mention you keep up with latest trends, say you complete jobs on time and on budget, tell them you'll work with them to get the best kitchen for their dollar, etc.

Make sure to tell what areas you service.

If you want people to make an appointment to come to the showroom, make sure they know that. Pictures of the showroom are a plus - if I see something and want to show it to my husband - it's right there.

• pudgybaby
    11 years ago

I like the starcraft custom builders website because it is packed with excellent information. If I lived in Nebraska I would have used them for sure because their website convinced me that they are excellent kitchen designers. But, probably the GWers are more informed than the average person seeking a kitchen remodel. I was amazed at all the ding-dongs out there selling cabinets. But I'm more of a function over form type.

As far as pricing, I as thinking along the lines of what TexasPenny said: show actual kitchens with rough estimates of where the money went. Show a basic remodel where things were just replaced and not moved around much (low construction costs) and basic appliances, a middle priced one, and a high priced remodel that looks completely different than the before because they moved things around and replaced windows, built-in fridge, etc. I would have appreciated this, especially if the pics clearly showed the differences in the kitchens.

Good luck

• jerryp
    11 years ago

I have just finished cabinet/countertop selection for our remodel. I use the Internet heavily for most major things but did not find the cabinet mfr websites useful. What was helpful was this forum and other sites that educated me about cabinetry: styles, woods, finishes, options, cabinet makers, etc.
    A website that provides some good basic information about cabinetry and design would be a helpful service to novices like me. If it is well done, I believe it would entice people to contact you for more information and assistance.
    Buying cabinetry is not something I want to do over the Internet. I need to be eyeball to eyeball with the prospective companies I do a major purchase like this. However, I believe a well done website can draw prospects to you.
    As a senior IT executive, I was responsible for our organization's websites. You can spend a lot of money building a website but I also think you can build a good web presence on a budget with a well thought out approach.
    You are on the right track by soliciting input from sites like this. Best wishes

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

As you know, I did a kitchen a few years back but ended up not changing out cabinets. In the process, though, I did a lot of online and IRL shopping.

Your primary goal is to do what you do best, design gorgeous kitchens for people, not inform people on how to do it themselves.

So I think you want to sell yourself as a source by introducing yourself on the website, explaining how you excel at your services and showing your work.

Again, you don't need to provide "inspiration" photos for DIY projects. You want to represent your best work and show your style, the quality of what you are selling which includes services and hard goods, and encourage people to call you or stop by.

I'd look to showcase your services and your kitchen "looks" first and foremost. I'd show a gorgeous kitchen and then break down the special features you can design. I'd state your philosophy. If you've been written up or won awards sing it out.

When people here go to KDs, they go with some ideas. They are looking for the KD to give them other ideas and expertise.

Putting costs on a website is a tough proposition. I think that can be approached in a sort of ballpark way by stating that you can do modest to elaborate kitchens and then supporting that with pictures.

I wouldn't forget to include a good pic of yourself and your team. I'd emphasize that your business is small and the service will be personal.

You could state the lines you carry and show doorstyles and examples of kitchen styles done in those lines. You could show color range, too.

You might consider a simple introductory q&a form that a potential client could submit for their project in advance of a first interview so they don't come in cold.

We've seen here how defensive folks get about the cost of kitchens and how easy it is to feel that a KD doesn't know their stuff, isn't interested in the work, doesn't listen etc. That's certainly not you at all in any way. But that should be communicated to someone who doesn't know you.

There are tons of widgets out there so folks can do their own layouts. I don't think a small business needs to provide that on a website.

• maggiebkit
    11 years ago

Is it too personal to give out the name of the website and we could have a look?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I like web sites that are fast over fancy...

I remember being a newbie and would appreciate a tab for kitchens 101: difference between inset and overlay...custom and semi custom...what quality box and how you can tell...frameless vs framed...what is soft close....what is full extension drawer...etc.

I would also want a tutorial on the kitchen design and build process...how do I get from idea to complete kitchen...when do you measure? How long will it take for cabs to come in? Do you install? When do I need to contact granite guy or do you do that? What do you need from other trades...plumbing, electric, flooring? What decisions do I need to make and when so the process moves along smoothly? Etc.

I like pictures of what you've done.

I love to read testimonials from customers as it builds a level of trust in you and your work.

Ideally my frustration was not having a website that had an illustration of every door style in every color...if you could do pics of basic kitchen layout of each door style and then be able to color it for stain, that would be ideal...the way the paint sites let you change colors in a room.

An awful lot of web design is putting the info in a way that makes it easy for the outsider to find...not easy for the web designer to build.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Update the website occasionally.

This morning I visited a few granite yard/fabricator websites, one of which will do our kitchen. 3 have not changed their websites in three years. 1, a very no frills place, updates their site a few times a year. Adding photos, information, and just general updating to keep the website looking modern and fresh.

Which site do you think I spent the most time on?