SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Small homes of the 1920s

lavender_lass
13 years ago

My farmhouse was built in 1904, with an addition in the 1950s, but I've always wanted the design to reflect the 1920s. That's what my garden style seems to be, so I thought it would be fun to design the house that way, too.

I love the big, bulky, but simple trim around the doors and windows. I've always wanted something that's kind of a blend of cottage and farmhouse, with a bit of whimsy. I'm not an Art Deco person at all.

Anyway, I've been reading and discovered that in the late 1920s, there was an interest in what might best be described as folklore or fairy tale style. It combined characteristics of English cottage and French provincial styles, had lots of color and painted furniture.

Apparently, this was a result of WWI and the time Americans spent in Europe. The storybook style in California, with the charming little cottages, came out of this movement. One of those was the inspiration for Snow White's cottage in the Disney movie.

So, as some of you know, I've been trying to create a bit of a fairy tale look in my kitchen and combine the best of english cottage and french farmhouse to create my own look. Well, I guess it turns out, I'm just trying to recreate what was popular 90 years ago! LOL Well, at least I'm in the right decade :)

I'm going to keep researching and trying to find more pictures, but if anyone else has any pictures, links, book recommendations, etc. (for home or garden) I'd really appreciate it. In the garden, I've tried to keep all the flowers that were around before or up to the 1920s. My 'newest' roses are probably the hybrid musks. It seems to be a good fit, so now I'm off to do more research.

Here are a few pictures and a link to storybook style homes, if anyone is interested :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Storybook style

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor