SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

Do you all follow decoration rules?

Sara_in_philly
12 years ago

The long side of my living room has a 88" wide wall sandwiched between 2 windows, a 85" sofa is placed against that wall. From all I read about decoration rules, that 85" sofa requires a wall deco at least 2/3 of the sofa width, which is 57" in my case.

I am having a very hard time to find a right-sized wall hanging for that wall.

Recently I bought 2 vertical museum art poster and hoping to group them together and fill that wall. Unfortunately the grouping at most can occupy 48" wide of the wall, it's still not wide enough if one follows the rule of 2/3 (of sofa).

My husband is convinced that people just discard that rule because it's too hard to find a (or a couple of) wall deco that big.

As for me, I don't know what to think. I am still in shock by the cost estimate of framing a poster (nicely): 10 time or more of the poster cost! I know it's going to be expensive, just didn't know it's that expensive.

85" sofa is a standard size, what do you all do with wall deco for a sofa that size? Do you all follow the rule of 2/3?

Please tell me what you think.

By the way, since that's the main wall of the living room, I am reluctant to go the route of grouping many small decos to fill the space.

Comments (24)