SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
porkandham

Help with carport for ranch

porkandham
11 years ago

Can someone please help with the design and maybe photoshop my picture. We'd like to add a carport to the front of our house. The previous owners enclosed the original carport/garage to create a family room. We love the space, but our cars aren't faring too well out in the elements!

We're thinking of adding a simple gabled roof with columns that's open on the sides. I'm not really sure what to clad the gable with. Lots of people use cedar shingles, but I'm reluctant to add another siding material. We've already got brick and the vertical wood siding, but maybe since they're all painted the same color that won't matter too much?

I'd also like to add a gable and a front porch to the center section of the house, but we may not have the funds to do that right now. I'm going to get some estimates this week.

Thoughts? Advice? I'm open to anything!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Got a wider view?

• porkandham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the widest I have in photobucket, but it's not much better. There's a brick wall that runs the length of the driveway because there's a dropoff.

{{!gwi}}

I'll take a better picture in a few minutes. My lens needs to aclimate to the heat for a bit. It's too fogged up to take pictures at the moment.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another view:

{{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Your house has very good proportions now. I'd make the columns for your new bits square and substantial, with a base the same height and cladding as your lower brick section, and the upper portion the same as the upper wall. I'd keep the the gable ends shallow, matching the pitch of your roof, match the material to that upper wall material, and consider adding a simple oval medallion painted to match your trim.

Having said that, I would invest in a good architect to make the drawings and specs for those two things - you risk spoiling that clean facade unless you get the proportions just right. It would be a shame to lose the considerable curb appeal your lovely house already has.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I completely agree with Bronwynsmom.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Bronwynsmom! I'm very concerned about getting it right. We just added master suite with unfinished walkout basement space below (1100 square feet in total). I felt totally comfortable forgoing an architect and designing it myself. But this relatively small project has me shaking in my boots. I really don't want it to look like it was tacked on as an afterthought. I think you're right that I'm going to need to invest in an architect.

Can you be more specific about an oval medallion? I can't quite picture what you're talking about.

• User
    11 years ago

Do you have the space to come off the left side of the house with a carport at an oblique angle? Imagine adding a CP to the left side in the same plane of the house, then pulling it towards the center axis about 30 degrees or so. You aren't making a 90 degree angle with the house, but it is enough to save space on the lot as well as provide a visual balance on that side to the retaining wall on the right.

Would also stick with the painted brick / vertical siding combo you have now-- and same trim color for the corner supports (presumably columns). You have a lovely home----LOVE the colors!

• porkandham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl - That's an interesting idea, but we'd have to pour a new driveway which would add considerably to the budget. Also, I'd like to be able to use the existing door on the right to access the carport. I'm tired of getting rained on on the way to the car!

Thanks for the kind words about the colors. I agonized about them!

• porkandham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should add that we can only come out toward the street. This is a relatively small intown lot. Our next door neighbors are pretty close!

• les917
    11 years ago

What are your setback laws in the town? That may affect your plans. Also be sure that your town will allow construction of a carport - around here that is not allowed any more.

You have a charming ranch. Love the color of the house and the shutters - have you ever considered a different color for the front door? Something with a little more color impact could be very pretty, and make the entry feel cheerier. See the color of the kid's Jeep that is parked on the right side? Think how fun that would be for the front door!

Since you said you don't want to pour another drive, I am assuming you are putting the carport in front of the family room/old garage. I would be sure that the roof line matches that of the house. I would take the shutters off the windows there, so they look like inside windows rather than outside. I would paint the door either the color of the brick or the white (cream?) color of the trim- whatever you are going to paint the supports of the carport.

I would also be sure you put some kind of pot lights (outdoor rated, of course) in the ceiling of the carport. The family room is going to lose a lot of light once that goes in, and having the lighting will allow you to not feel like that side of the room indoors is in shadow.

Be sure you cut back your bushes, too. You don't want the house to seem hidden, which having the carport in front and all the bulk of the green bushes at the entry may do. Add pots of colorful flowers on either side of the entry to also draw your eye there.

Where are you located? I know around here (Chicago area) a carport wouldn't offer much protection for cars from anything, except perhaps some sun. But for us, since our cars are parked most days at work without protection from the sun, that wouldn't mean much for us, either.

• porkandham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Les - I'm pretty sure we can come out 20 feet without a variance. Obviously, we'll find out the specifics and get any needed permits before we begin. I live in Atlanta, so sun, rain and hail protection is all that is really needed. I'd love a full garage, but that would be more expensive, and I feel a closed in garage will loom too large.

Lights are in the plan. The house faces north, so the family room gets most of its light from the windows on the south side. They're actually double width windows, so it's like there are 4 windows on the south side.

I did consider a different color door, but doors the same color as the shutters seems the be the norm here. The exceptions are stained wood doors and white houses with black shutters and red doors. I'd be open to suggestions for door colors.