SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsme_gw

newbie with lots of questions (lengthy)

itsme
18 years ago

I bought a bar of handmade soap at a farmer's market and loved it, and thought I would try it myself. It was lye and vegetable oil based, smelled great and lathered nicely. I read up a little and thought I would start with the M & P soap, bought some stuff from Hobby Lobby, clear glycerin and coconut oil added glycerin. I was so disappointed, it was like rubbing a piece of plastic, it wouldn't lather up or anything, the scents were weak. So I mentioned to my mother (70 years old) I thought I would try the lye soap, and she about freaked out--you don't want to try that, it's dangerous, messy etc, and how bad the old lye soaps were (hard, wouldn't lather, only good for laundry, etc). Also she suffers from eczema on her hands and said "that old lye soap would break her hands out, don't give me any of it".

I was rather shocked at her strong reaction. So my questions are:

1. Do the glycerin M & P soaps just not lather, or do I need to add something. Can I remelt what I have and mix something with it to improve it?

2. From what I've read, even glycerin soaps are made with lye to begin with, is that true?

3. I am really not interested in making soaps to be crafty, I am really more interested in high quality products for my extremely dry skin. So would the lye soaps be better for that?

4. My mom said she uses cetaphil soap now to keep her hands from breaking out. Does anyone know if it is made with lye? Is my mom right that any lye based soap will aggrevate her eczema? Would glycerin be better for her?

5. There is almost too much information on the internet, I am overwhelmed at where to start. Can someone recommend a couple of sites that give accurate info for the beginner like myself?

Thanks for any info.

Comments (7)

Sponsored