SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandogirl

beer dispenser / kegerator...crazy idea?

mandogirl
15 years ago

Hi. We're going to be moving to our new house in a few weeks. DH and I both like beer...um, a lot. So much, in fact, that's it's more economical for us to buy one of those

dispenser fridges that holds a half keg than to keep buying cases of beer as frequently as we do. Did I say we like beer? (Our recycling bin every week is a sight to behold; I'd love to be rid of beer bottles forever.)

Our crazy idea is this: to get one of these gizmos and store it in the basement, since there's no room for the rather large object in the kitchen (it's approx. 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 33 inches tall. We were thinking of running the tube up through the ceiling into the cabinet under the sink and installing the tap on the counter near the sink (almost like a real pub!). (It's possible to get a refridgerated-type wire that snakes around the tube to keep the beer in the length of tube cool.)

The countertop is granite. Is it possible to drill a hole in an existing granite countertop without damaging the rest of the counter? The granite is uba tuba which from what I understand is a pretty hard stone. Or is this too risky? I can't remember right now if they have a hole for a soap dispenser already drilled. If they do, I'd happily lose the soap dispenser and replace it with a beer tap. Priorities, priorities. ;-)

Comments (25)