SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Porch landing on an older house: straight vs round steps?

Fori
11 years ago

Sort of a decorating the outside of my house question. :)

To start, I know the paint color is awful. It's worse in person. Painting is on the list of projects...general color suggestions are more than welcome!

But my current dilemma.

We're redoing the hardscape (and the rest of it, of course, retaining some of the larger plants) in the front yard. The front walk is too narrow so we'll widen it and the steps to the porch. We'll replace the two steps with larger landing style steps and the landscape designer has suggested a semicircular landing/step thingy to break up the straight lines of the house, about 6' wide. I think maybe I'd like to accentuate the straight lines, or at least not fight them. (The porch itself is about 5' deep x 15' long, hiding behind those two shrubs.)

I want it the new step to look like it was original (but better, of course). I'm pretty sure it won't matter either way.

So, long story short, when did the semicircular steps become popular? Are they appropriate for this house or would nice wide rectangles be better? I think perhaps round would be weird.

This is an old RE glamor shot photo. :) Actually it still is this bad although we've replaced the roof. Most of it will come out, the walk and porch will be bricked, and there will be much less concrete. We have a plan I like except I'm not sure about the darn step. Does a semicircular landing have any place in front of this house?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County