How to best organize negatives?

Leslie

I need some advice, tips, or your system for organizing negatives.

I recently purchased some of those negative holders (about 12x12") that are from the Crop in Style line (I think) and go in the PSB binder. But it will take a million of them (and $10 a pack is a little high for all I will need) to get all my negatives organized. Do any of you put more than one strip into each slot (like the whole roll) - or would they get scratched that way? Anyway, I'd love to hear advice on that and like I said above, on how you organize your negatives. Thanks!

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nanci

I use the Generations Photo Express. Its accordian style with lots of compartments and is acid free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Express

Save    
Jennifer

I just organized all my negatives and what a challenge! My neck hurts from looking at them under a light to see what they were, etc. Ha ha ha

Anyway, I used a photo-picture box and with index cards, I wrote the subject and year(s) on them...from there, I listed what negatives were in there in chronological order...it came out pretty nice and it's organized enough to find everything.

For instance, I wrote VACATIONS on one, HOLIDAYS on one, and BIRTHDAYS on one - from there, everything is in chron. order by the year.

You can also do this in notebook form, but you would have to transfer all of the negatives into a 3-hole punched sleeve, which is a major pain when you have so many.

Just an idea...Good Luck!

Save    
kathiesb

Hi Leslie, just saw this post. Hope you see my question given it's so many years later. Did you decide whether to limit your negatives to strip/slot or did you put a whole roll into each slot?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Offices Organize Photos in a Flash
You post them, email them, maybe even print them out. But if your digital and printed photos are all lumped together, it's time to organize
Full Story
Organizing Your Total Home Organizing and Decluttering Guide
Take it slow or be a speed demon — this room-by-room approach to organizing and storage will get your home in shape no matter how you roll
Full Story
Organizing 4 Questions to Help You Organize Your Favorite Photos
Organize your keeper photos with a system that's just right for you, whether it's in the cloud or you can hold it in your hand
Full Story
We design functional homes for busy professionals who crave space to disconnect from their routine & unwind. Our... Read More