SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_shirley

Fixing a sliding mirror door (frame separated from glass)

nick_shirley
12 years ago

Because of a problem with the track (since fixed), a person who shall not be named (not me, at least this time) trying to force a large sliding closet mirror door open wound up pulling the right side of the aluminum frame away from the glass. It's fine at the top 12 inches and the bottom 12 inches but in the middle the frame is no longer attached to the mirror. The u-shaped rubber channel gasket (or whatever you call it) that cradled the mirror while in the frame has retracted into the frame body. The "gasket" is OK at the top and bottom but I can't figure out how to open it enough to push the frame back around the glass.

I've never done this sort of repair before but my working assumption is that to do this right, I'd have to take the door down and lay it on the floor, unscrew the right side of the frame where it attaches to the top and bottom sides of the frame, pull the right side off (maybe sliding up or down parallel to the right edge of the glass??), refit the rubber gasket correctly onto the mirror, slide the right side of the frame down so that the fat part of the gasket slides into the frame, then rescrew and remount. Does this sound like the correct way to fix this? Any advice for an amateur like me?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Nick in Palm Springs

Comments (12)