SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

PODS Packing

User
12 years ago

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

And it came Saturday midday, and I just looked at it the first afternoon.

But Sunday and today, I was cruising on high gear, and accomplished a great deal.

About 20 boxes of books, really heavy books too, line the bottom of the front of the PODS. On top of those boxes, I put the largest birdcage flat on its back and then stuffed the boxes containing china and breakables into there, and then I turned the other (flat topped) bird cage upside down nestled between the legs of the other cage, with only a few inches to spare on the far side wall of the PODS. Then I proceeded to dump bigger boxes of things with breakable stuff (like a flat panel monitor on top of a box of kitchen stuff) until I reached the top, where I put the light weight garden fountain in 4 pieces. Then I strapped everything to the walls in a triangular fashion.

As a boat captain, I know that you give an object an inch even of space to move, and it will keep whamming against it constraints until that ONE INCH becomes a lot more, and it will beat itself and anything else it can reach half to death. That's what they call REACH. So keeping it from having even an INCH of slack is a very important rule to remember.

Tomorrow I load the cast iron chaise lounge and the wrought iron patio furniture and the tables and the HOSTAS!!!!!

And DH's tools and some more small furniture items. And my fabric will be the padding, but in big heavy black contractor bags. All that strapped down.

Then the last row will be the twin mattresses and box springs and the headboards/frames, and I will put the flat panel TV and the pictures and such between the mattresses flat on the last section of the PODS.

The driver who delivered the PODS said to be sure to keep the last row of stuff from shifting toward the rollup door because it would prevent us from opening the PODS. I had not thought about that as a problem but now I'm very aware of loading the last row securely.

If it was just going to SIT STILL, there would be no problem. But when it is going to travel 1500 miles to our OTHER driveway, I don't want to have a lot of broken glass arrive after working so hard to get it there.

For heaven sake, all this exercise has caused me to crash my blood sugar twice already, before I knew it was happening. But now I'm ready for it. Until this is over, I'm reducing my insulin in half and checking it about 2 hours after I take the shot. My energy is up, I'm drinking lots of water. And I'm sleeping like a log.

The house is really emptying out quickly. I thought the book shelves in the study here would look vacant and hollow, but not so. I left enough items to decorate them in a "staging" fashion, and only a few books. Maybe I should upload a picture of the space afterward? I know I have a shot of the filled bookcase, so maybe the new setup would be nice to show too? Now where did I put my camera......

Well, time to clean up. And go to bed. Oh joy, I'm going to be headed HOME in less than 8 days. Early early Tuesday week morning........and I'll be ready ready ready. :)

Comments (14)