SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Japan's tragedy

columbiasc
13 years ago

As I look over the devastation in Japan I can't help but think about how much tradition and history means to most Japanese people. They typically have fewer possessions than the equivalent American but in many instances those possessions are treasured heirlooms. Art, tea sets, swords, fabrics even ancient Bonsai. All have meaning, all are irreplaceable, many are now gone. Swept out to see, buried in ruble that will be cleared quickly with heavy equipment and either destroyed in the process or burned with the debris. The traditional houses themselves, a pile of matchsticks. And if you spend any time at all studying traditional carpentry you know there are very few craftsmen left that can duplicate the traditional building techniques. Exotic wood finishes planed by hand with planes so sharp they remove mere microns with each pass resulting in a finish so smooth it is purposely left unfinished.

Stuff can never take the place of lost lives and I fully acknowledge that tragedy. But I also grieve for the Japanese as so much of their history, culture and ancestry has been washed away. It is truly a sad time.

Scott

Comments (3)