SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

About my sweet bird who died

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

Her name was Cricket, because when she was tiny (and I do mean tiny), she chirped like a cricket when she ate. I hand raised her from when she was less than a week old. Her parents were trying to kill her, because she was deformed. Her neck was twisted. I didn't know if she would life, but she did, and grew to be a beautiful white cockatiel. She was so very loving, and gave me kisses all the time. She loved sitting on my chest and being petted.

I think a rat got into the aviary and scared her, and she broke her neck. I found feathers that attest to that, and I saw the rat last night. I brought the other birds inside last night, and I'm bringing them in tonight, and tomorrow I'll put out rat bait. The citrus rats here are horrid!

I found her dead on the floor yesterday morning, and buried her next to her mother, right outside the screen porch, where the other birds could watch me. I cried and cried.

I'm thinking of giving the birds away. The aviary is in need of repair, and I don't have enough time for them. I'd love it if they all had good homes with people who could pay them more attention.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH