SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettenoire

Long introduction

bettenoire
12 years ago

We have purchased a ruined stone farmhouse in the north of Spain (Galicia) to renovate. It is early in the process, we are developing the basic plans with the architect, but I figured never too soon to start getting input from experts.

The house is roughly 1100 square feet, all one floor. It has 1.5-2 foot thick rubble stone walls. The roof was caved in and the doors and windows all rotten. They have been removed. We demolished a brick second floor extension which was over the area we are planning for the kitchen.

Use of space:

2 adults, no children, 2 future large dogs and probably a cat. I am the only cook and I cook every day. There is no separate dining room, but during the summer we expect to eat on the patio. We entertain as rarely and informally as I can manage. Hopefully, I will be working from home part time and tending the garden/running a home based business. We are simplifying in a big way.

Geography:

The house has the access road on the north, adjacent abandoned house on the east, barnyard and garden to the south, wooded lot to the west. Galicias climate is like the pacific northwest. Temperate, grey/rainy/chilly winters from November to March, winter lows around freezing and gets to about 20 degrees during cold snaps in Dec/Jan, 80 to 90 degrees from June through September.

Kitchen is on the south side of the house. We have a certain amount of flexibility regarding size and placement of windows and doors since it´s a ruin. Mudroom/laundry/pantry area in the SE corner. Kitchen space opens to the living room on one side and will have a patio area outside. Chest freezer will be accomodated in the utility closet. Office space elsewhere.

Kitchen requirements:

Minimal budget (the project itself is pretty overwhelming). I like unfitted kitchens. We own no large appliances or kitchen furniture. The kitchen will be eat-in. We are planning on a woodstove for cooking and heating. I think this should be located along the wall shared with the living room to facilitate heat circulation. The rest I hope to find second hand, salvage, rehabilitate, scrounge or buy on sale. I would prefer a large farmhouse sink.

I want to feel free to stain, spill, scratch, cut, crack and generally inflict damage. I will call the consequences patina. I want to be at home in my kitchen. It needs to withstand brewing, cooking, canning, baking, butchering, muddy paws and flying dog slobber, soapmaking and fibre dyeing, although the last two will hopefully be happening in the laundry room. Materials will be a stained chestnut beamed ceiling, stone walls (cleaning issues?) limewash perhaps, some wall tile, probably a stone or tile floor, open shelving. I am an unenthusiastic house-cleaner.

My inspiration images (mostly from Casa y Campo magazine)

I got this far and then gave up:

Plan with space measurements (in meters)

My first plan - awkward, maybe a banquette with the table?

{{gwi:1840706}}

My second attempt - awkward, table in the crossroads of traffic?

{{gwi:1840707}}

And extra special credit if someone can figure out how to incorporate a traditional Galician Lareira, which is a covered open fire type of inglenook. I dont think there is space for one, and it may be just too darn hot to use. Expand the smoke hood over the woodstove to cover a small stone platform along side?

In preview the plans are coming out entirely teal, I hope that changes when I post for real.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

Comments (8)