SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

repair my collapsed closet rods

jally
12 years ago

I have this old 1950's closet (rough partial diagram below).

Years ago, my dad had drilled a hole in a plywood plank and inserted the old-fashioned wood rod into the hole.

Reason:

To add another shorter rod below, to give more room for hanging tops & skirts.

But just yesterday, after the closet became overburdened with clothes, the wooden rod bowed so much (like a bow & arrow), to the point that the rod exited from the holes which were supporting it, resulting in tons of clothing collapsing. Not only that, but the plank which my dad had suspended from the main rod (to act as a support of the lower/smaller rod), splintered & broke from the fall.

I now want to suspend another plank from the main rod, to replace the splintered one, but primarily:

I want to be sure the main rod is better supported this time.

So i'm considering screwing in Eyelet screws (or maybe an L-shaped corner brace), and screwing it into the area which I depicted in RED. And then looping vinyl-coated wire clothesline several times thru the Eyelets and around the main closet rod in order to brace it so it should never bow again.

Here's my rough sketch, so if anyone can suggest the best way to go about this, such as which eyelet screws for the 3/4" plywood that's built into the wall, & how many of them to get, and how to find same, or if there's an easier/better way, i'd appreciate it!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!