SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjmaye

Latex vs. oil for interior trim?

sjmaye
13 years ago

I just bought a home. The amount of trim is much more than my previous home, but it looks no where near as good. My previous home's trim was painted with a very high grade SW gloss, oil based paint. This one appears to be semi-flat latex.

I don't even know if painting over the latex with oil is an option, but I am trying to understand the pros and cons of oil vs latex on trim. My oil based trim was super slick. No brush strokes. At 15 years old it looked as good as it did when it went on. The only issue I noticed when replacing some trim was that it had yellowed. Never would have noticed otherwise.

On the other hand, all the latex trim I have looked at seems to lose it's gloss after it has been painted. Not sure. Just seems that way. I also always see heavy brush strokes. Almost like it was brushed while semi-dry. I am not at all a painter. Just observations.

My question? We will most likely repaint everything. I am thinking it would be difficult to switch the trim to oil based. Do they make a comparable latex?

Comments (18)