SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirt_gw

oil vs latex trim and waterborne and wall questions

squirt
16 years ago

Hello:)

I have gotten estimates from 6 painting companies. All have different opinions and I am more confused than ever.

For my trim - some say oil some say latex, some say spray and some say roll. I don't want ambering, but I want the high sheen of a glossy smooth finish. I have smooth doors with no grain. One painter said oil would chip up, another said that's ridiculous and oil is much nice of a look.

Which ever I go with, I should use a waterborne paint, right??? Is waterborne only for trim and not for flat or matte walls? So far no estimator has mentioned the word waterborne, I read it here.

They all said, I should just pick any oil or water gloss I wanted, that the trim didn't matter on the quality of paint as much as the walls did. I was also told oil is now made practically non-toxic and that I should worry about it. I won't be living there when it's painted, so the fumes will be gone by the time I move in...but I do have an neurological illness and therefore want to still make sure there isn't anything toxic in it that is longer lasting.

The walls...so far the estimators all say use a flat, either Porter's Silk n Touch or SW Cashmere. But, I read the interior SW Duration might be the best of both worlds...ok touch up and no burnishing or chalkiness. Most of the estimators had never tried it and many said it's over-rated and a gimmick. Most didn't even know Duration came for the interior. Most only knew of the exterior formulas.

I saw the silk n touch today and it did not look flat to me. So I figure I might as well go with the duration matte? The video claims it still touches up well. Is it worth the extra costs? One painter said $200 more in costs and one said $500 more. About 3100 square feet (that includes the garage) - floors, ceilings, trim, closets, garage - everything!

Lastly - my colors are dark and one is dark red...I know that could have a factor as to what paint I should use. the SW site says Duration Home should be used with Accent Bases.

My trim color will be either SW Turkish Coffee or Black Bean. Only in one room would I use light trim, and I definitely wouldn't want it to yellow.

I would greatly appreciate opinions on all my questions!!!

Thank you!

Squirt

Comments (10)