SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psbjmb

Update with countertop pictures

psbjmb
9 years ago

Updating my journey with countertop pictures.

Here's where I started:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031604253400.html

My soapstone was installed yesterday, with just a minor hiccup. I am supposed to have drain runnels and they aren't there yet. I spoke with the fabricator and he said he would be sending his guy that (in his words) 'is an artist for that kind of thing' - it just won't be this week. I would have preferred to know in advance that I would have to take 2 days off work for the counters, but I'm going to consider that a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

Overall I am very happy! When the guy came to take measurements, we discussed seams. I told him that I thought having one on either side of the back of the sink would be the least visible (so the sink run is 2 bigger rectangles, and one smaller one behind the sink). The seams showed up more in my crummy pictures than they do in real life. I think they did a pretty nice job of making the design flow across the counter.

I didn't measure overhangs or anything - but everything looks and feels good to me. If y'all see anything really wonky that I should know about, I'm not sure if I want you to tell me, lol. Seriously - if you do see a problem, please speak up so I can get it fixed.

This has been a relatively modest kitchen redo ($11,000 for cabinets, appliances, sink, counters, and minor repair work). It already feels like a brand new kitchen, and I'm not that close to finished.

Here are some pictures. They offered to oil them for me, but I declined. The stone is so pretty like this, I want to enjoy it 'raw' for a while :-) It has a beautiful deep green color, especially in the veins .. I look forward to trying some tiles with it for the backsplash. I have a bunch of samples on order from fireclaytile.com.

Arrival:

First piece installed. I do have the drawer front, it obviously isn't installed yet :-)

My 'T' for Texas counter, lol.

Sink and corner:

Long view of sink counter:

Another view of the corner:

Left seam:

Right seam:

Sorry about the crummy cell phone pictures, my 'good' camera is in a box unaccessible at the moment (meaning, I'm not sure which box it's in).

Comments (30)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company