SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judibean_gw

Backsplash for galley kitchen layout

judibean
11 years ago

I have a backsplash dilemma. I have a galley kitchen with a stove at the end of the run. I'll be redoing the kitchen soon - the positioning of appliances and base cabinets will remain the same. The wall cabinets will be replaced with floating wood shelves and the range hood will be a freestanding chimney style hood at the end of the run. Note the side wall at the foreground of the pic that acts as "end paneling" for the wall and base cabinets - I think they are called "knee walls" - this will factor into the equation later.

My dilemma is that I want to do a backsplash only against the long run of wall along each side of the galley - if I tiled the window wall, then I have to tile the cabinet side of the knee walls on each side of the galley. The other side of the galley is just counter space, so functionally there, I don't need tiling on either the window wall or knee wall. However, as you can see on the other side of the galley, the stove is at the end of the run and the window wall next to it will get cooking splatters.

I'm wondering if I should: (1) choose form over function - tile just the long run of walls and use scrub-able paint on the side walls and knee walls or (2) choose function over form - tile up to 18" to where my bottom wood shelf would start and run that straight across behind the stove and along the window wall and across to the knee wall as well. Then do the same-height run on the other side of the galley for symmetry. Tiling up to the ceiling on both sides is not an option - I like the look of painted walls over tile. Am I missing other alternatives here? What would you do?

Comments (16)