SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Clearance around island-What would you do?

ncamy
12 years ago

On one end of my island is a major traffic passageway. There are no doors, drawers, or seating on either side of the aisle, but it is the only way to get from the back of the house to the front without going through our bedroom. The space in question is only about 18 inches long because most of the island opens up to another part of the kitchen. Currently I have this pinch point drawn as 45 inches after counter overhang. The other end of the island is a working aisle, the cleanup zone with cleanup (not used for prep) sink and dishwasher. However it will never be used as a passageway and only be used when cleaning up. I currently have this aisle drawn as 42 inches after counter overhangs.

Now I'm starting to rethink the distribution of aisle space. Perhaps I should decrease the traffic aisle and increase the work aisle? What do you think would be best? A third option which I was trying to avoid is to decrease the length of the island which would eliminate my trash pullout and involve modifying the prep sink cabinet to accommodate the trash rollout under the sink. I could gain about 9 inches that way.

Background info: We are a family of two adults with one daughter away at school. We entertain a lot in the style that simulates hanging out at the local pub. People in my town are not used to having large gracious spaces. Most of our friends live in homes of less than 1000 square feet and restaurants are crammed into buildings that are only 15 feet wide.

Comments (9)