SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Extreme Reno fatigue

Texas_Gem
9 years ago

So I seem to be in the minority here on the board in that we have done 99.9% of the work ourselves.

We built on to the back of our house for my kitchen and the only thing we haven't done and we contracted out is the slab being poured, the cabinets being built and installed unfinished (I finished them myself onsite) and the granite countertops. We did all the framing, electrical, running new plumbing, re-roofing, insulation, drywall, paint, etc.

Our reno has cost significantly more than we expected (when does it not?!?!) and we are now; though no where near finished, as close to being as finished as we possibly can be at this time.

The remaining work that can be done would honestly take less than a week to complete but instead of buckling down, I have found myself ignoring it; I guess because I am so accustomed to living in a reno (we started in August). Add to that the fact that this month is literally THE craziest month on my calendar for the entire year.
In May alone, I've got my MILs bday, my husbands bday, one of my daughters bday, Mothers day, the last day of school (and subsequent end of year party I am responsible for as a room mom) my father retiring (did I mention I am hosting his retirement party at my unfinished house) plus 3 other friends bdays as well as my in laws anniversary.

I am the party planner/host in the group. Some of my obligations can be passed on to others (like the in laws anniversary), but the vast majority I am responsible for.

I am at my wits end. Like I said previously, I KNOW if I would just buckle down and do the work my house would be back to full operating capasity instead of just scraping by...but I can't help it. I am exhausted.

I don't know why I ever thought I could tackle all this work while also being a SAHM to 4 kids who were, when the project started, 6, 4, 2 and 6 months old.

Please tell me I am not the only one. I am so close I can see the finish line but I just feel like I can't even reach it anymore. I'm exhausted; literally and figuratively.

Can anyone help me muster the strength of resolve to JUST get those last few details finished? Tell me I am not alone...

Comments (23)