SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Stupid Ice Makers! Two on Same Day

sweeby
16 years ago

We have two refrigerators with ice and water in the door, and the ice makers on BOTH, which had never given us any problems, stopped working on the same day! One fridge is a 10-year old Kenmore; the other is a 2-year old KitchenAid. I think I know what caused the problem, but I don't know what to do about it. We have checked RepairClinic.com, and have tried their remedies, but they haven't worked.

Two days before we noticed they had stopped working, the city turned off all the water at the main for a few hours to connect a new house being built next door. Whenever that happens, we get 'trash' in our water lines, and this time was no exception -- in fact, we got more than the usual amount.

DH ran lots of water through the in-door water dispensors, and those are both working fine - never stopped. What doesn't work is that they no longer make ice.

- We have checked that the ice makers are turned back on.

- DH called the manufacturers, both of whom recommended we unplug the fridge for a minute, then replug it it. We did that.

- DH checked to see if any parts were 'frozen' or visibly cracked and none are.

Given the timing of the problems, I'm thinking a little 'rock' may have gone into a gear and be jamming it in a certain position. Is this likely?

Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Comments (6)