SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

KitchenAid French Door Ice Maker Issues

Laurie
12 years ago

I purchased one of KitchenAid's French door refrigerators last summer. I've been very happy with it in general; except the ice maker which has been a source of annoyance since day one.

First of all, it seems to make too much ice. Then, the ice has trouble coming down the chute. When I open the door up to get at the ice manually, lots of pieces spill out onto my floor causing me to go scrambling to find them. Did I mention I have 2 messed up knees? This, is not easy for me and a lot of times I miss one or two and then I have puddles to deal with. The ice also is not being "cut up" - it's still in groups of 3 or 4 (which could be part of the problem). The ice is also falling below the ice maker causing even more jams.

So, basically for a year now my ice maker is useless. I've had them replace it two times already, once in it's entirety. I'm pissed that I spent over $2000 for this refrigerator (again, which I really like otherwise - love the storage, convenience of the way it's set up, the fridge keeps temperature perfectly, etc.) but can't get a damn piece of ice out it!

Is anyone else having this problem? Thankfully I purchased it from a store which stands by the products they sell and they have been very good about coming out and trying to fix this. Right now they are again, trying to come up with another solution (there are whispers by the salesperson of replacing the unit completely).

The repair people did tell me they have been hearing complaints of this model a lot (I don't remember which one it is off-hand, it's the Architect's series).

Comments (15)