SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Update on U.S. residents wanting prescriptions filled in Canada

joyfulguy
16 years ago

I'm doing some checking as to the rules that govern Canadian pharmacists filling non-resident prescriptions, as I've talked to some U.S. residents about their being able to get their prescriptions filled here.

A large chain says that they don't do it.

I have not yet contacted any of the small, local ones - either forget when I'm near one, or am too busy at that moment. Maybe tomorrow (most are closed on Sunday).

Yesterday I attended a reunion of former Korea missionaries of our libeal Protestant denomination and one of the guys there is a Canadian pharmacist (married to a Korean lady, and their daughter is married to a guy who works for Schlumberger [oilfield service co.]- so they've lived all over including, recently, Belfast ... and recently moved to Siberia). The pharmacist is pretty well retired, but works occasionally as relief person with pharmacies in their small city.

He says that recent rule changes allow Canadian pharmacists to fill prescriptions written by physicians in various out-of-province jurisdictions, including the U.S.

But - they must see the person for whom the prescription is to be filled. Which is a major part of the reason that a number of U.S. people come up here by the busload from neighbouring U.S. States (and some not so neighbouring, I guess).

It was only a few months ago that the U.S. Dollar was at a premium of about 15 cents, later about a dime, which helped pay the bus fare (and rumour has it that there are some touristy attractions in various parts of Canada ... including the people).

As of Friday, however, it takes US$1.07 to buy CDN$1.00, so that almost requires that people wanting to get prescriptions here need to consider hitch-hiking.

I think that some of the Canadian pharmacies that were filling precriptions by mail are based in Manitoba (above Minnesota, Montana)- I was in contact with a guy in Manitoba some time ago who was doing it, but haven't thus far been able to find his address.

I think that some had links with Canadian physicians who were willing to confirm prescriptions written by their U.S. counterparts - but I suspect that would mean sticking their necks out quite a long way. There must be a way around it, or I doubt that they'd do it.

That's where things stand with me at the moment, folks who are interested in this project of mine.

We all realize, of course, that the results of this will be difficult for drug prices in Canada in future, for most of the drug companies are huge multi-nationals, and are not going to be pleased with this kind of nonsense continuing. And it's much more likely that Canadian prices'll rise than that U.S. ones will enjoy the old hatchet job.

Right?

Good wishes to all of you for enjoying the rest of your weekend, and hoping for good things in the week ahead.

Aren't you pleased that you had that addition to your beauty sleep, last night? Some of us need all of that that we can get!

ole joyful

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES