SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

The Importance of Being Frugal

joyfulguy
21 years ago

Hi all,

Speaking of frugality ...

A lady, busy in her kitchen just before break time asked her young and culinarily inexperienced daughter,

"Jenny, would you put some water in the kettle and put it on to heat for tea, please?"

The obedient daughter filled the kettle, put it on the stove and turned on the heat to a fairly high level.

Mom, being busy, wasn't paying much attention, but the idea skated quietly into the fringes of her mind that it seemed to be taking a long time for the kettle to boil.

She checked the stove, noted that the heat was on quite high ... then lifted the kettle.

It was heavy - Jenny had filled it almost full!

Mom's Response, "Oh, no, Jenny ... you've boiled a full kettle - now I'll have to make Jello!"

This story must relate to the generation that came later than the wood-stove-in-the-kitchen era.

A young lad said that his grandfather used to dry his used chewing tobacco on the windowsill.

After a few cuds had dried thoroughly, he would pack them into his pipe and smoke them.

Saved the ashes to sniff up his nose as snuff.

Saved the spit to polish his shoes.

Heard these on the radio just now.

Don't suppose they'll be too applicable to your situation, but sensitive to the complaint that I've been off topic here on occasion, thought I pass them on ... in an attempt to retread my reputation.

Have a happy post-Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas season, folks.

joyful Ed

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living