SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daft_punk

Should I replace or leave it

daft_punk
17 years ago

I've a 22 year-old log cabin. The original front porch was small and poorly made, so it rotted before it's time. I removed the porch and and found the wood a bit rotted behind the old ledger joist. I don't feel good about covering up compromised wood.

My questions are...

3. Should I replace the horizontal length of wood (I think it's called a sill joist) with PTL? The original was untreated wood. It would seem a good idea. However, PTL is somewhat wider than untreated wood, so it doesn't fit. I'm leaning towards using untreated wood, and sealing it myself before I put it in.

2. Should I replace the entire outer sill joist while I'm at it? Sections of it are warped. I pulled away one of them and the inner joist is still OK - and I want to keep it that way. I plan on using a circular saw down the length of the sill about midway between top and bottom, then pry the outer joist through the cut.

3. There are small spikes that go through the bottom logs of my house, through the flooring, and wind up between the inner and outer sill joists. If I pull the outer joist out, what is the best way to fit the new wood over the spikes? I'm thinking of marking the new wood and dremeling channels on the back side of it. Alternately, I could dremel off the spikes. Can I do that safely?

Thanks!

Marco

Comment