SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
housenewbie_gw

weird smell in AC

housenewbie
15 years ago

Hi experts,

I just opened up the vents and turned on my central AC for the first time the other day. Actually, it's the first time since 2006--never got around to doing it last year, and tho we had a few hot days we didn't really need it. In 2006, we used it a lot.

There's a strange smell coming in some of the rooms. Not real strong, but noticeable. Not the stench of recent death. Almost like fish. Salmon, actually. I dunno. It's weird.

Anyway, my questions are

1. Could something have gotten in the ducts in the attic? The vents and the filter openings all look clean.

2. Does this type of system have access points where you can stick your shop vac in the ducts and clean them out? It's a ranch house, w/ all the ductwork in the attic and the unit outside.

I've never actually been in the attic, because the pull-down stairs creak horribly and they're over the basement stairs. Really don't need to fall 20 ft. It's on our list to replace, but hasn't gotten done yet. The home inspector was up there when we bought, and everything was fine then. But, I don't really know what stuff looks like up there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor