SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Replacing or repairing cedar shingles or shakes

aliska12000
17 years ago

I once read how to do it but have forgotten. Hoping to have my home repainted before winter (I want to keep the cedar and not install siding), I want to know how it is done even if I probably won't be doing all the work.

Can anyone give a detailed explanation or steer me to a book or link, please?

Somewhere on another thread we discussed cedar shingle siding but not in this context, and I have made the unfortunate mistake of having the people I hired (college kids) use paint over the existing stain which was an ugly (to me) forest green so I will have to use paint again. That was over 20 years ago, maybe 30.

Actually since I was covering green with brown, I don't know if restaining would have worked anyway. Now I want a taupe or cream color, maybe even yellow. Yellow even though I like it and have seen houses with cedar painted that color may not be too good for home value as a lot of people wouldn't like it. Also once considered kind of a colonial blue (greyish, medium blue), don't know what I'll end up with. I had the taupe paint chips all picked out and a teal accent color (not for window trim, just doors, thresholds, etc.), and darned if my next door neighbor didn't side his house in the exact same color.

He said he doesn't care if I use the same color and that is the only color he sides his houses with (he's a contractor), but I don't know if I like the idea of two houses together the same color or not. I guess there are plenty of white houses neighboring one another, so maybe that isn't such a big deal.

Comments (2)