SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dustbunnies_gw

Venting Gambrel Attic with Cathedral Ceiling

dustbunnies
17 years ago

I have a Gambrel house (barn roof)that has a small attic on one end of the house and cathedral ceiling on the other end. There are 3 small roof vents near the ridge spread along one side of the house. My husband installed a power vent on one gable end near the top. There are NO soffet vents of any type. It would be difficult to retrofit and install soffet vents because the roof was hand-built. Each angle of the roof was built separately. There is a 2" x 6" running the length of the roof at each "bend" in the roof. Thus even if I get air into the soffet, it can only travel up to this board that seals off the attic spaces. To make matters worse, the second angled part of the roof is actually the walls to my upstairs. Thus my walls are really "roof". These walls are built and insulated as if they are walls. They have about 6" of insulation in them with no venting.

We have a problem with mold in our attic, ice dams forming, and water leaking in around the skylight and in the seams between the OSB sheets. Water is tracking down the rafters, pooling on the first floor ceiling, and raining out of a light fixture in the bathroom. It is also "raining" in the second floor bathroom.

My attic did not have a vapor barrier and it had some sort of loose highly combustible insultation in it. We removed this fire hazard and installed 12" of fiberglass. We know we need to install more insulation.

The second floor bathroom walls were covered with tongue & groove pine nailed directly to the rafters. I removed all of this to check for the source of the water. At least now the water can drip straight down into buckets.

Most of the remaining roof walls have been drywalled. Oh, and for good measure I found that mice have been living in the eaves.

Any suggestions how to properly vent this mess without tearing out the roof? And how to insulate?

Comments (2)