SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Time to re-roof but a few questions

herus
14 years ago

Insurance is picking up a replacement. They counted ~50 squares and I have 3 bids from 3 types of companies (X, Y, Z in order below). X & Y are long(ish) standing members at BBB (A+) and it is all they do. One is a multi-employee company with salespeople and the other is a small op where the owner is also the only salesman. Both have been used by at least one friend/neighbor and come well-recommended.

Z, also an owner-salesman operation who I think got into roofing lately from general construction due to the economy, has one negative on the BBB and does not have a long enough established membership to earn a rating above C minus. But several neighbors have used him and I have talked to at least 3 of them, all good results although there were issues with two of them, both quickly rectified by him.

Pricing is a little different for all 3. Company X with the salespeople is, surprisingly, the lowest by a little bit. Company Y is the highest and least willing to offer no-charge upgrades. Z will do some upgrades but not as many as X, but was a bit on the pushy side. Pricing variation from lowest to highest is max 10% and they are all using the 50 squares as a starting point (did not do measurements themselves).

X's salesman was a little weak on the product knowledge side, which worries me a little (I was correcting him in places, and all I know about roofing is what I learned these past two weeks). He seems to be new as his profile is not up on the co website yet. He is offering me a little more in terms of options if I go with CertainTeed vs GAF. (all products will be the base 30-year architectural). He is also quoting a max work time of two days vs 3 from Y & Z.

I am leaning towards this company (not at all pushy and seemed to give in on some small options easily) as you can probably tell but would like to know more about the CT product vs GAF (for which they are "Master Elite"). Comparing GAF Prestique 30 to CT Landmark (not Plus). I came across an older thread with many refs to poor CT quality; not sure if that is still the case.

Any input would be useful. I know I will need to choose the contractor based on my own feelings but would like to learn more about the two brands of shingles, but feel free to chime in about the contractors as well.

Comments (9)