SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdionnemoore_gw

Review of Samsung FD CD (237 model) xposted to Appliances

sdionnemoore
14 years ago

The refrigerator is in and I finally peeled off the protective skin of plastic. I must say, this unit is lovely. I love the blue readout control panel, mostly because it's a nice change from green. :)

Interior: The interior refrigerator has one split shelf and two slide out shelves. the bins for the door include a bin for cans of soda, a dairy shelf, and two more shelves--that's all on the side that does not have the ice cube dispenser. On that side there is one shelf, full length and depth, a very tiny shelf that is almost impossible to fit anything into and an upper shelf that is oddly shaped and definitely not full width and depth to accommodate the ice maker.

The full width and depth of the door shelves easily handle two gallons of milk each. That's four gallons of milk! But I'm guessing that would be a lot of weight on one door. The other full depth & width door shelve is on the side that has the ice maker. It can only fit one gallon because the icemake curves into the space needed for another gallon.

I took out the soda can holder since we don't drink sodas much and it looked like it only fit about 5 or 6 cans, unless you could stack more on top. I could quickly see myself as being the official soda stocker!

The actual shelves for food and fresh produce are sturdy. The top two shelves are split and can be moved to different levels. The lowest shelf, the one above the produce, is stationery. One of the shelves splits horizontally to help when extra height is needed. I did this to put an elongated gallon container of lemonade, but the container hung off the edge since the space was rather shallow, so I have decided it is a nice feature, but not very practical. I am, however, still trying to figure out the best use of space.

Fresh produce bins are roomy and have a humidity control slide bar (typical in most refrigerators). The full width deli/pantry plus drawer is nice and you can choose three settings according to what you want to place inside--fresh, deli or chill.

Lighting is LED, nice and bright. The water filter is located at the top right and very easy to access. The ice maker works quite well and other than the cubes dropping, is very quiet. Water through the door is chilled to perfection (who needs ice?). The saddle to activate the water and ice is easy to push, perhaps too easy for little hands but my "baby" is fourteen, so no worries for me. If you have children it's something to consider.

The controls are taking a little getting used to, but there is a power cool and a power freeze, for those times when you need either the refrigerator or freezer to cool/freeze at a faster rate. There is also a light for the water/ice maker, a door alarm that can be turned on/off, and icemaker on/off button and an Energy Saver button.

The freezer has a very thin tilt out drawer that is a nice place to put bags of Steam Fresh veggies (love those things!) and/or frozen entrees. Pretty much any box that is smallish in size. The pull out drawer is roomy and unobstructed by an ice maker (this is the 237 model, not the 238 that has dual ice makers). The lower freezer section could hold two turkeys and maybe a ham, but I can't say with confidence since I still haven't filled mine up yet--can't decide what to put in it.

The SS is shiny and beautiful. . .now. I can see that it will be work to keep it clean. The handles are rounded tubes that are concave in relation to the doors. There is a SAMSUNG label in the upper right hand corner.

The freezer drawer handle pulls up to unlock the freezer drawer, which glides open.

The one thing that shocked me about this refrigerator was that it is not level front to back. When you set it up next to an end panel, you will notice that the freezer drawer area is set out more than the refrigerator section--like the entire unit is leaning backward a bit. This might be a huge negative for those wanting a refrigerator with a flush-to-cabinets front.

We also ran into some frustration with setting up the icemaker, in that not all parts are supplied. If you are considering this refrigerator, the water line is near the top, which means your water supply should be located higher in the wall. Because our refrigerator replaced an F&P whose water line was near the bottom, thus our water supply box was set low, the water supply hose on the Samsung was short by about 18", so we had to do a little shopping before we were able to set up the water line.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and pleased with the product. I hope that this review might help someone considering the unit. If you have questions, holler!

Comments (2)