SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustardtiger_gw

Split Entry Mudroom addition?

Mustardtiger
10 years ago

Hello, all! I am a long time lurker around here and this is my first post!

My husband and I bought our first home a few years ago. It is a typical late 70s split entry bi level home. We are happy with the size of the home and most of the interior living space, however, the front entry is atrocious and lacks any sort of storage space for coats/shoes etc.

I am wondering what we would be getting into if we were to put a mud room addition on the front? I know absolutely nothing about additions except from what I have gleaned on here; namely that expensive foundation work may be required since the entry is at ground level.

Basically I want to add a room right in front of the current entry. What sort of thing would I be getting into here? I am thinking a small room would be fine but I have read that it may be more worthwhile to add more space since it would be expensive - we dont really need all that much more space though....

I have worked on the garden to help hide the hideousness and we are planning on painting and replacing the shutters and exterior lights as well. I am more interested in finding out about what physical procedures would be involved in a project like this.

Any ideas?

Comments (12)