SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Perceptions in thriftiness?

Adella Bedella
17 years ago

I'm curious about how open everyone is about thriftiness and saving money. Here on this site we have anonymity and openly discuss ways to save money. I was raised in a household where we used coupons, rebates, shopped sales, etc. It doesn't bother me to openly walk into a store and buy only sale items or carry my sale papers for price matching around. I know my dh isn't as comfortable about it as I am because his family only shopped at the 'good' stores. Responses I've gotten from others has let me know that they aren't as comfortable either and would probably rather pay full price than caught saving money.

I sometime run into other shoppers who want to borrow my sale papers because they forgot theirs. And then there are the other shoppers like the ones I overheard talking about me who thought I was being too obvious with my couponing because I was standing with my two youngest kids in front of a display with a hand full of coupons and an ad I was price matching.

I also recently had the exerience of shopping Dillard's 75% clearance sales. I had two clerks make the comment "You're only shopping sales?" because I was walking around to the various clearance racks. They left me alone after that. It didn't bother me as my $300+ in purchases is exactly what my family needed and I don't really care who gets the commission for checking me out.

On the flip side, I've had a few clerks comment on how well I've done when I come into a store to only buy the major items on sale, used coupons and come out with a total far less than the other cutomers.

Saving money is a game for me. I'm not bothered by a stranger's comments or reactions. In fact I think it's hilarious. I can only imagine people look at me as some 'poor' person with a lot of hungry mouths to feed. They probably think that I 'have' to live as cheaply as possible in order to be able to live.

I'm curious. Are these the type of reactions you get? Do you hide the coupons or whatever your method of saving so others don't see? We all have different methods we use to save that aren't as obvious as price matching. What reactions do you get?

Comments (31)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals