SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourhappy

Remodeling project - process question

fourhappy
9 years ago

We have decided to undertake a pretty large remodeling project of our house. We are adding on an additional bedroom in our upstairs by building out over our garage and downstairs we plan to move out a wall or two to make our kitchen/living are larger and do a complete remodel of our kitchen as well as adding on a new mudroom/laundry room.

We have hired an architect and are working with them on the plans. this is my understanding of how the process is working. We have our plans from the architect and we have (2 weeks ago) done contractor walk throughs. We had maybe 5 contractors come in one day and walk through the house and look at the plans with us and the architect, ask questions etc. They received the plans along with door schedule, electric schedule and maybe some other types of plans too. Now we are waiting for the initial bids from the contractors. We have not yet gone shopping or determined our final budget yet. My understanding is that after we get the initial bid we will have an idea of what the contractor/subcontractor costs will be and then we will set our final budget and receive a list of "owner provided items" (actual light fixtures, flooring choices, tile, counters, cabinets, toilets, tub (also renovating master bath). etc etc... After the initial contractor bids we will go through the 5 bids (assuming all original 5 are interested in the job) and determine who we like and who we aren't really interested in. At that point we will check references and do our due diligence and determine who we want to go with. We then completely finalize the plans and get a final bid from our contractor of choice. So it seems that the bidding process is like 2 steps before we go with our final contractor. It also seems that we don't determine all of the "owner provided items" until after the initial bid.

We are getting some confusion from a contractor in that he keeps asking what choices we have made in specific materials that would be in the owner provided list and confused that we don't know everything and have everything done now so that he can give a proper bid. I guess how will I know what fixtures I can pick out until I have a budget to work with - how much they bid on the structural and installation work will determine if i can afford a home depot kitchen or a custom cabinet kitchen you know what i mean.

Are we doing it a normal way or is this out of the ordinary and why it's causing confusion.
sorry this got long...

Comments (27)