SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_haitch

bouncy new stair question

jay_haitch
18 years ago

New house is currently under construction. The builder subbed a few small carpentry jobs to one guy who built the stairs going from the attached garage to the entry door. It has a plywood covered landing with 2x8 joists, attached to the concrete foundation wall on 2 sides. The "free" corner is held up with one 2x4 from the 2x8 joist onto the concrete garage floor. This seems flimsy to me, and shouldn't wood touching concrete be pressure treated? This isn't. It does feel solid to walk on though.

I've never seen stairs built in the following way. He attached 2 stringers to the forward 2x8, 4 ft apart, and routed 1/4in grooves into which he placed 2x8 treads, glued with construction adhesive and attached with one screw. That's it. The centre of the tread bounces a bit. I've built some stairs myself, and always did it the old fashioned way: framing square, angled cuts into 2x10's, treads glued and screwed on top of the horizontal part of the angle cut.

It seems this carpenter loved his router, as the treads, handrails, and balusters are all rounded over. He built it like an outdoor deck. I'm not too happy with all the weight being held by a 1/4in deep dadoe and construction adhesive, but am I being overly cautious? 4 ft between the stringers seems way too much for me, so I'd like to add an angled-cut stringer in the middle.

Am I being too much of a worry wart? Is this a new fancier way to build stairs?

Comments (5)