SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcislander

To attic fan or not to attic fan... that is the questions

dcislander
14 years ago

Hey there all,

In the middle of a complete remodel of an older beach house: about 1200 sq ft, single story, no basement (2' crawlspace), and an attic that is mostly trusses and framing. The attic space gets brutally hot in the summer. The previous owners had an attic fan on a temp switch set to turn on at 90 deg, but like everything else, they put in the cheapest unit they could find and it sounds like a jet is taking off in the attic. I am getting mixed answers from different folks about the need for an attic fan. Some are telling me that the fan will suck all of the conditioned air up out from the home through all of the crack, spaces, openings... in the ceiling (sealing those is another HUGE project for another time). Other say that the fan will vent out the blazing hot summer air and help keep the interior cooler. If we do decide to go with a fan, I want to replace the one I have with a more quiet model, but I am not sure we even need it. What are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks for any insight.

Comments (8)