SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Painting contractor

bus_driver
16 years ago

Just had my first ever occasion to use a painting contractor for exterior work, always did my own before. Now too slow because of age. Father and son team. The fellow speaks little English, but his son speaks for him, they converse among themselves in Spanish. Enthusiastic recommendations from some customers that I talked with, but now I wonder how much about painting the customers really know. Used pressure washer, blew water under the front door, flooded the carpet in that area. Blew up some roof shingles on the gable ends with the washer. Applied primer just one day after the washing. Quoted price for labor only, paint extra. I told them I would buy paint at Lowes and/or Home Depot. "No, No, No, much too high price, we get discount at Sherwin Williams. Much better price, we give you receipts and you just pay that way". So they bring receipt. Example: They bought 5 gallons of SW A-100 latex primer $127. and some odd cents. Home Depot has Glidden Gripper primer 5 gallons for $83.44 including tax. I asked if they used brush or spray for the exterior walls. "We do either that you want". So I chose brush. Came by when they were mostly finished with the primer- spraying. I could add more. But based on your experience with painters, is this about typical?

Comments (13)