SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Kitchen Appliance Installed, needing to vent

rjinga
13 years ago

OK, I was at the mall working all day today and the install guy came while I was away. DH was home and "supervised" the day.

I'm shocked and appalled at what I came home to. I have never in my life seen such a mess. Not only in the very shoddy craftmanship of the actual install (pics below) But he made a mess of my entire kitchen. I have had to put all the utensils and cups that were out in the D/W. And there was piles of this dust everywhere.

He had to cut the countertops to put in the new stove and there was/is (I'm fuming so bad, I had to come here and vent) Wood dust/sawdust, GOD knows what covering EVERYTHING in my kitchen. Even the top of the new fridge is thick with crud. So I'm left to completely clean every nook and crannie of my house, every appliance, every thing that was on the countertops even stuff on the OPPOSITE side of the kitchen.

I'm fit to be tied. What (other than completely give the manager of the store a piece of my mind) am I to do? This is just ridiculous. He should have covered the counters at very least.

OH and that's really just frosting on the cake...all 3 things he was paid to install look like crap, things are not centered, not level, the cuts he made on the counter a 5th grader might have done as well. he left all the plastic on everything (which in this instance was actually a blessing, so at least I didn't have to clean EVERY sq inch of the place.

I paid nearly $300 for installation and delivery of a stove and dishwasher!!! ok well enough of my ranting, you look and you be the judge. Am I being hyper critical?

NOTICE THE 1/2 inch gap on the left side??

Comments (39)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How's the fridge look? I'd call the manager, looks like DW is crooked needs to be reinstalled and I'm sorry but it looks like they owe you new countertop (and a long piece that's mitred into a corner and has a sink cutout, looks like practically your whole kitchen - ouch!).

What'd the guy cut the counter with - a hacksaw??

• natal
    13 years ago

I can understand you being pissed about the cut countertops. Why didn't your dh stop him? Messes are standard operating procedure when you have contract workers in your home. It's typically up to the homeowner to cover and protect things. Was all of that stuff left on your counters and in the sink when the guy came to do the install? Oh, and leaving plastic in place is normal. You really don't want them removing it. Good luck getting things rectified!

• Related Discussions

Need ideas for vent hood install problem

Q

Comments (0)
    So my builder suggested the GE Monogram ZV950sdss for our kitchen, but apparently neglected to consider that our cook area has an arched ceiling. Any ideas on how to install this without it looking ridiculous? We have discussed recessing it into the drywall, adding molding and creating a drywall furrdown thing. Cross-posting in the kitchens forum. Vent Hood our kitchen
    ...See More

duct work questions for installing kitchen hood vent

Q

Comments (16)
    One would have expected Prestige to provide some advice, but without it, I recommend you match six-inch vents with six-inch ducts. Larger ducting reduces resistance but also slows down the air velocity. Commercial ducting requires 2000 ft per min air velocity to limit the amount of grease that will condense. According to some sources I've read, residential velocities should aim for the 1000 to 2000 ft per min range. The two six-inch vents can be merged into a duct with the same cross-section, around 8-inches, but only if both power packs are powered at the same time. Otherwise, keeping the velocity up requires individual ducts. A call to Prestige may be desirable. kas
    ...See More

Vent installation help needed

Q

Comments (3)
    We installed the vent, but unfortunately had 3 turns before the vent travels 10 feet to exit on the side of the house. I feel that I have lost a lot of power, but hopefully I have enough left for my vent to work well. I have tried the steam test and the paper test, and there is definitely some suction, however, my hair is in no danger of being sucked up...it is not that powerful! Good luck
    ...See More

Ideas for Side Venting a Dryer (and Washer) Installed in a Kitchen

Q

Comments (31)
    We are on the cusp of placing orders for our appliances. So I wandered back by this thread and noticed the new responses. Mikelock, I love your "after" photo. We're about the finalize our layout, and I keep considering going under-counter instead of stacked. It's a lot of fun to see another real life installation. That extra run of counter must be so nice. Chris Park, thanks for your perspective on how the condensing dryer is performing for you. I was scared off initially by the many negative comments about condensing dryers, but I later became more hopeful when I noticed that many comments note that clothes come out with only an initial dampness - if that makes sense. We're finally going to place our order this week, after much heel dragging from me. The plan for a long time has been Blomberg units (the heat pump dryer sounds like a good idea), although in the 11th hour there is some temptation to order Asko units (condensing dryer) that would match the SS appliances. I guess we'll panic and select one soon!
    ...See More
  • lindac
    13 years ago

Not that kind of a mess isn't typical!!...You clean up the bits of wire and the packing and at least push the sawdust into a pile!
    But that hack job on the counters is too much. I would be stopping payment on the check!!
    Linda C

• natal
    13 years ago

That's what I said ... not the countertops. But leaving all that stuff out to get covered in dust was the homeowner's mistake.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I could almost overlook the mess if the job was done correctly. I had someone do a job in my kitchen and the outcome was similar to yours. Are these idiots delusional...can't they see what a crappy job they have done. Would they want that in their home. I would be furious too. I agree that they need to replace your counter tops and adjust the appliances so they are level and function properly...stop the payment if you can...that is ridiculous.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Did they bang up the bottoms of the cabinets to either side of the DW? Or were those chips there? Also looks like a scratch in b/t the doors on the sink base, so maybe that was existing. If not, they have to repaint or replace a cabinet or 2 as well.

Hope you got the appliances from a big box store that does cabinets and countertops too. Though who knows what a mess they'd make of that install. Good luck.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

You may be able to just take a sander and sand down the edge (pull the stove out) of the left hand one, then I'd have them laminate the cut edge. The small countertop to the right will probably have to be replaced, unless you want to cut it down more past the chip (have more room for range, hopefully not a big gap) and laminate the cut edge of that as well.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What was left in the sink was one big pot and one skillet from breakfast (I had to leave after we ate) I have normal things on my counters, coffee pot, blender, coffee mugs on trees, a fruit bowl, etc. I did not know that I had to (a) remove everything from the counters (b) cover everything over!

DH says he used a big saw, didn't drill him for details, but sounded like a circular saw. I cleaned inches of dust from every inch of my counter tops, it was in the cracks where the backsplash meet the wall, it was everywhere.

The cuts were clearly a hack job and I will try to recoup this money. This guy is Best Buys Installer and I just really cannot imagine that this is routine or that this has never been an issue for anyone ever before.

It was sloppy plain and simple and he did not use a type of saw that would have resulted in a precise cut.

the fridge is so so, the space was too small (not sure why that would be, this is only a 10 year old house) but he had to remove the molding and 1/4 round on the inside wall where the fridge goes in and then he was to cut the surface wall molding flush with the wall. Looks like he cut it while still on the wall and it too is pretty sucky. I'll post some more pics tomorrow of what I have cleaned up and try to get the whole picture of the kitchen.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

That's your baseboard next to the fridge? Did it used to wrap around into the fridge opening?

I don't think they'd pay for it (unlike the countertops, a small circular saw should have been fine, but you need a fine tooth and he should have taped the edges of the counter first to avoid chip-out). I don't think I would have expected an appliance installer to remove baseboard. If I knew the fridge was that tight, I would have removed it before he got there and then put it back myself or hired a carpenter to fit it back nicely.

Maybe you can pull the fridge out, get a block of wood and some sandpaper, and just sand that end of the baseboard down and touch up paint. Or you can pull the baseboard and shoe, and since it's that tight just cut them to do a beveled end against the fridge. Nicest option would be to buy new and do a mitred return.

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

I don't get why Best Buy would cut anything ! That's really not their job.Or in other words "We do not include the parts or labor required to modify existing services, flooring, cabinetry, or your new appliance."(from their web site.)
    Also from their site did they attach the anti tip bracket? Mine didn't had to call them back.
    Did they attach a new gas line required in all new installations ?
    By the way do you have a level to see if he even leveled the appliances ?
    Don't even try to fix it . Get a certified carpenter to give you an estimate and submit it to Best Buy.
    The installer should have never gone against co. policy and brought out that saw...
    Don't worry Best Buy is big enough to pay you to go away.
    They know that next stop for you would be consumer affairs.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I've had lots of appliances installed in old and remodeled homes and I've never had an installer that would cut into a counter top or make any major adjustments to make an appliance fit. It's up to the home owner to find an appliance that fits the opening or else hire a carpenter to prepare the area.
    What was Best Buy thinking?!

The DW probably isn't level but if the cabinets aren't square you'll have a gap.

I think they owe you new counter tops.
    I would call the manager and ask him to come to the house. Keep your cool, show him the damage and if he doesn't offer to replace and repair, then let him know what you expect to be done.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Were you aware the installation would involve trim work? Your average installer isn't generally equipped or trained to do trim work.

No excuse for leaving the mess of sawdust, but everything should have been off the counters before he started or he should have asked your DH to remove them.

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

A typical appliance install (I've had several in the past 2 years) does not involve dust/mess/cutting, so I would never even think to clear or cover my countertops before the installer came.

I'm not sure why the cutting was necessary, but I agree that the installer shouldn't have done it -- the very first time I ordered an appliance, I measured the opening, but not the doorway and it wouldn't fit. Though it would have fit if they removed some of the doorway molding, the appliance guys said "no way" and promptly took the dryer back to the store, telling us to go back and pick a smaller one. We did, and that's the last time I ever ordered an appliance without measuring and remeasuring everything.

Which brings me to another point - did you measure? Fridge openings aren't standard (we could only pick from 2 brands because of the size of our opening) and while stove and dw openings should be, if your floors/countertops/cabinets aren't level and square, it's going to cause gaps like the one you see around the dw (I have one myself though not quite as bad as yours.) This last time, we were limited in the stove as well because of the height of our counters and depth of the cut-out opening (it's a slide-in stove). While shopping, I had measurements of every stove out there and they differed by up to an inch -- I ended up only having 2 brands to pick from that would actually fit. And our house is only 10 years old as well -- seems like appliances, along with waistlines and fast food portions, have been supersized in the past 10 years.

That said, once something didn't fit, the installer should have explained that to your dh and left, either taking the appliances with him (so you could exchange for something smaller) or leaving them there for you to get a carpenter to deal with them. I can't imagine anyone with half a brain just whipping out a circular saw and hacking up your counters. Did he ask your dh's permission first or explain what he wanted to do?

At this point, I think a call to the manager is definitely in order!

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

did you measure to make sure the appliances would fit into the existing space? If they weren't going to fit then something would need to be cut but I agree the cuts are not good! whenever I have a contractor coming to do work I always clear things away, just in case of dust. everything goes into the cupboards or I put it all in a box or two and move it to another room. I'll also cover any appliances that I'm not going to move out e.g. microwave and fridge to keep dust out so that if there is any dust it's a quick wipe down of counters and surfaces and then just moving everything back in. It saves a lot of time and I don't expect contractors to move my kitchen bits and pieces out of the way, that's not what they are there to do IMO.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I'm surprised the range didn't fit, since I thought they were all standard (unlike fridges). But I figured you knew they needed to cut the countertop? I picked out my appliances before I designed the cabinet layout for the new kitchen so I knew how everything would fit. But I remember shopping for a fridge (range wasn't an issue, 1 side open) when the fridge in our old house died, what a pain trying to find one to fit b/t the pantry, cabinet, and overhead cabinet!

Given Best Buy's policy stated above, if you didn't work out with the salesman that the range would require modifications to the countertop and that his installer would do it, you may be out of luck.

Since you didn't expect the dust, maybe you didn't expect any cuts and the installer was doing you a "favor" but I'd still talk to his boss.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In my fury last night, I failed to give all the specifics and details...let me recap this whole transaction for you.

We went to the store, the sales people (turns out) misrepresented (or misunderstood) what their installation of the range and ORM would provide. We later discovered that the cabinet configuration would not work for the ORM and in this discussion with the manager (who we spoke to when discussing this confusion) told us that they made a mistake by telling us that the carpentry work would be included and that the installer who is coming CAN do the cabinetry work, as he was qualified to do so but we would have to work out payment with him directly, since the store did not offer this type of work. But again, he emphasized that the install people they use do it for customers who need it. HE ALSO AGREED TO REIMBURSE US FOR THE COST OF THE CABINET WORK, FOR THE STOVE. HE EVEN CALLED THE INSTALLER HIMSELF AND GAVE HIM MY #. This was due to the misrepresentation of his sales staff on what we thought we were getting when we agreed to buy the appliances AND the expensive installations.

So, we bought the appliances (another caveat) was that the store did not have all the appliances in stock (so we did not see them all, althought I had researched them online, we ended up purchasing them sight unseen, I know, I know...dont scream at me.. the package was affordable and good enough quality that we were ok with this decision)

A few days before the delivery and install I called and spoke to the store to firm it all up and to know what we could expect and when, I spoke to the delivery guys AND the installer, so as to make sure we were all the same page. This transaction itself was discombobulated, several different versions of who would do what etc. I finally got it all sorted out, which is what brought the ORM issue to my attention.

The delivery guys brought it all and were responsible for the fridge install (and would have also been in charge of the stove, had it been a simple swap out...AND they were supposed to attach a bracket to anchor it to the wall...They did not do this (and I forgot about it til they were gone). I do not know for sure if the install guy did it or not.

WE HAVE/HAD A DROP IN AND WERE REPLACING IT WITH A FREE STANDING, this was explained from the get go, hence the mix up in what would be included in the install...we were under the impression that they would do whatever they needed including the necessary cutting of the cabs to make it go in.

so the fridge, the guys got it in and then realized that the space was very tight, that in order for it to go in the moldign and 1/4 round on the inside of the cut out space would have to be removed and the small section of wall to the left of it would have to be cut flush with the wall... THEY SAID THE INSTALLER WOULD DO THIS, NO PROBLEM.

The installer arrives notes the fridge issue and says that if we can get the manager to ok the modification, he would do that too. DH called, got approval and the manager agreed to remiburse the $35 for the cutting etc. (credit to the account).

Onward...no mention of a potential mess from him...DH was not there every second. He took over 2 hours to put in the D/W and then the rest took him a good 3 hours...

In my naivety I did NOT measure, everyone we talked to said these appliances were "standard" sized. no idea the space (esp for the fridge) would not be big enough.

the guy was supposed to arrive at 8am (when I would be there to go over things) and didn't arrive til 11:30, when I was already gone.

I will be contacting the manager to discuss this today.

• natal
    13 years ago

Sorry, but your biggest mistake was in not measuring. You could have saved yourself a lot of heartache. Next time you'll know.

How could you think you could swap a drop-in stove with a free standing one? Did the guy at Best Buy know that's what you were doing?

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did NOT think I could swap a drop in with a free standing, I was well aware of the need to modify the space. I had communicated this with the store when we were determining all we would need install wise to get things in. I in fact knew exactly what would need to be done and communicated that not only to the store people but to the installer PRIOR to his arrival, in an attempt to get some idea of what he would charge for doing it.

And again, I was told by several different people that the appliances were "standard" sized..nothing out of the ordinary size wise. yes, in hindsight, I should have not taken their word for any of it and measured.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I've heard of similar scenarios before and often the store hands the problem off to the sub (your installer). Since the installer is an independent any problems will have to be taken up with him. Hopefully this isn't the case with Best Buy but I won't be surprised if that's the story you get.

Someone who finishes out formica top should have done the work, especially since you were going from a drop-in to a free standing. I would now worry whether there is any support at the ends of your countertop where he did all the cutting. Also, the fact that new formica wasn't placed over the new cut, you now have a raw edge that is going to absorb moisture/grease and eventually lift the formica off its base.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I agree it is a mess and I can imagine how you feel. If it were just a simple install, you wouldn't necessarily have to move everything off the counters, but knowing that the cabinets needed to be modified for the stove should have been a signal that there would be dust. It's a very costly lesson-measure, measure, measure because "standard sized" means nothing and if you are making big changes as you were with the new stove, hire your own contractor to do the work.

Hope Best Buy makes it right for you and you are soon enjoying all your new appliances!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Regarding the edges that eventually were to be cut. I SPECIFICALLY aksed the installer (prior to his arrival) if he would be putting something on the raw edges to prevent there from being spills absorbed, grease etc. or if I needed to get something for him to put there, he said that you would not need to put anything on it per se, that there was something that you could buy to fill in the gaps? no idea what it was he was referring to. I was told by someone else that we would have to match the material used on the sides to the counter top if we could...so I knew that something should be put on the raw edges, he (the installer) did not concur.

• natal
    13 years ago

Sounds like there were a lot of red flags throughout the process including your initial conversation with the manager.

Good luck dealing with Best Buy!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well...I dont think there were any red flags about the process while we were finalizing the deal...if there had been, we would have quickly tuned in to that and asked questions etc. And most likely would NOT have done it at all.

It all went rather smoothly, so I thought, until days before the delivery was to take place, and in confirming the work ahead, I was told something completelly different than what I had been told at the store.

I suppose at that time, we might have been better off calling off the whole thing. In fact DH wanted too, but I didn't see any reason to. I thought again, we had ironed out the wrinkles. Had I been there when this doofus was working, I would have known to question him. this is just not DH cup of tea..and he didn't stare over the guys shoulder like I would have done.

I'm sure we will work something out, one way or another. We are to meet with the manager to give him the receipts from the work, and when we do, we will address it with him, unless I can reach him before. I dont want to sabatoge our abiility to get the fees agreed on reimbursed either. so I feel like I have to handle this gently.

• paint_chips
    13 years ago

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this! Your pictures are shocking. Be sure to show them to the manager. They speak volumes.

Good luck!

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

From reading your posts it's pretty clear that you went in to this expecting one thing and getting another. That being said, it does not discount the fact that you didn't do enough research, took people at their word when you didn't have enough info, and weren't prepared or well-informed regarding the whole megilla.

"...he said that you would not need to put anything on it per se, that there was something that you could buy to fill in the gaps? no idea what it was he was referring to."

In that case, it would have been prudent for you to do your homework and find out exactly what he was referring to.

"...this is just not DH cup of tea..and he didn't stare over the guys shoulder like I would have done."

Since you know your DH is not as speecific as you are regarding things like this, I have to ask why on earth you left him "in charge". That's just poor planning on your part. Now your DH is probably feeling none too good about a situation that could have been avoided by your being there to oversee things. I believe you should have scheduled the install when you were going to be home.

I hope you get a resolution that's satisfactory. It certainly could have been avoided.

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

I'm amazed at how many people expect you to be a professional, not only at your own job, but the job of everyone else you PAY to do a job for you .
    If you did not sign a contract with the installer then he was working as a sub for Best Buy.
    See if the "installer" even has a license to do this type of work..
    Best Buy has got to understand the repercussions of aligning themselves with unlicensed let alone not bonded workers.(If that's the case)
    You asked for a job.
    They said they could do it.
    Looks like crap.
    End of story.
    Now let's give them a chance to make it right and pray you paid by credit card.
    (The anti tip bracket is for the stove.Very important if you ever plan on small children in the house )

• User
    13 years ago

Yes, you save money buy going from a drop in to a free standing range, but they are NOT interchangeable without expert alteration of your kitchen components. Appliance installers aren't countertop guys or cabinet guys. I'm really surprised that the delivery guy even attempted this. None of my appliance delivery guys would even attempt this or they'd be fired. We'd have to set up a visit from my cabinet guy and countertops guy, and that's not cheap to do. My cabinet guy's minimum is a $300 charge, and my laminate counter guy's is $200.

Only specific trades should be allowed to touch something as tricky to alter as cabinets and countertops or you end up with, well, what you ended up with.

This is going to be an expensive lesson for both you and Best Buy.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Take copies of all these photos with you to Best Buy -- along with all of the paperwork!

Then send it along to their headquarters too! ((and do mention that you have posted this story online at a "well-visited" site))

Shocking -- hope you get things fixed soon!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• natal
    13 years ago

I don't know that I'd mention posting about it. This was a combination of consumer and seller error.

• User
    13 years ago

PS. I ususally recommend trimming the laminate counters to fit a freestanding range in place of a drop in as only as a temporary solution until new counters are purchased. There is no way to do this well in the field on the cabinets. The only way to get a good cut is in a shop situation with the proper tools. The best solution is to simply plan to replace the counters after taking delivery of the new range.

I don't want to hammer you, but this is a great deal more complicated than you assumed, and you really didn't learn enough about the job on the front end before you made some important and expensive decisions. Unfortunately, you had some schmucks at the store take advantage of your ignorance. It just goes to show you that you DO have to know what is involved in altering your home before you engage a "professional" because that person may NOT be the professional they claim to be. You are your own quality control when you act as your own general contractor and engage trades directly.

• redbazel
    13 years ago

I'm sorry. I would be upset and stressed out too. And your husband probably feels really bad that he didn't notice how things were being done till it was over. Take your photos in and try to calmly work things out with Best Buy. I hope it goes well.

Red

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks to all who responded (even the ones who blamed me for part of this screw up, ha ha ;) If I had been ABLE to be there, trust me, I might have taken the fricking saw from him and cut it myself...but such is life, it just doesn't always unfold as we hope for it to). I sure do not intend to become a total cynic of all "contractors or people I hire to do work in my house" the details for this transaction were pretty clearly spelled out and should have had a very different outcome, had the installer put a bit more conscience into his work... I didn't "abandon" my DH, but YES, he should have paid closer attn. he too took it at face value that this person was a professional and would know what he was doing.

I'm sure that I'll get this made right for myself. I'm pretty assertive and resourceful.

I did make the first call to the manager (not the one we dealt with) but he is going to look into it and get back to me. I sent pics to him. I got a call back from him already and he has completed paperwork to "escalate" the issue so that it will be reviewed..so someone will come out and see the work, and figure out how to fix it for m..that's reasonable and hopefully they will come through...I'll let you know what happens.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

"I sure do not intend to become a total cynic of all "contractors or people I hire to do work in my house""

rjinga, yes do become a cynic, and trust no one, and don't assume they will do it to your satisfaction, unfortunately it happens too often.

Even simple chores as window cleaning, I've been using the same guys a few times, they are impeccable with my things, replace furniture where they were but last time, I caught one of them trying to fill his dirty large bucket in my powder room sink, a very shallow black fiberglass sink, he was jamming the bucket sideways to be able to access the taps, I saw him and asked him to continue using the large kitchen sink, we had agreed from the start that they would do that always.

Like I said, trust no one. And I do hope you get a good resolution for your experience, keep us posted please !

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

rjinga, My first floor installer (claimed to have 20 years of experience) cut just like your guy so sloppy with a cheap saw that should be replaced. I had the painter finish the flooring job after I ran out of wood and had to wait for more to arrive. The painter cut the boards and baseboard trim with the right tools so smooth and professional.

If I ever move and need someone to do my floors and I am not in the same state, I will make sure I ask to go to jobs during the flooring and baseboard trim install as well as seeing the final product to see if this is a person I wish to hire that has my standards.

I am sorry for you. Please keep us updated.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

OH Rhonda! This can't be a guy they used before or someone would have complained. Down right terrible! Good luck getting things made right. If they don't seem to want to make it right call you local TV station's consumer help line. A call from a reporter wanting to discuss their (Best Buys) policy on installs will get them thinking they'd be better off to make things right for you.
    Good luck!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

UPDATE: The manager sent someone out (crazy thing is that they wanted to send the original installer? HUH...I specifically requested someone else, afterall how unbiased could the original guy be? I can hear it now...UM GEE MAAM, I really did do a crappy job, what a mess, I dont know what I was thinking to leave your kitchen in this state, I should have stayed in bed that day") anyway, they apparently attempted to reach him and couldn't so they sent a different guy. Who agreed, that this guy left it a mess. He was very efficient and proficient at "fixing" the hack job the other guy left.

No new countertops, but without doubt much better.

this new guy showed me the paperwork (which was a print out of all the communication from all parties on this "escallation" and what's ironic is that the original guy was finally reached by them and he reported that he did the cutting at the request of the store and ME and that he told ME that HE normally doesn't do this type of work, but I INSISTED that he do it anyway, so that I could get the stove put in. YA RIGHT...he did admit that he should have sanded the cabinets down, but didn't etc.

anyway, he lied and he made a liar out of one of the store manangers who very confidentally proclaimed that his installers are qualified to do the cabintry work. I think this guy will not be getting all the referrals from them too much longer.

I found out that Best Buy charges the contracting company $500 a day for these types of things...until they are resolved. So they were on it like greased lightening.

Well anyway, here are some after pics. The pic of the front right edge which was cut way too deep, we used quickwood on it and IRL, it actually blends much better, it's a pinkish beige color very close to the counters. He put in place also the laminate counter top edges (precut for such an application) and that will seal off the counter from the inevitable water, grease etc from the stove. it was not a match, but it does help it blend better with the stove AND I told the guy it just might become my inspiration colors to use when/if I attempt to repaint the counters.

NOW, I need to touch up the paint on the cabinet bases and change out the knobs and search for a new paint color and then consider what materials/paint I can get from SW before their 25% off sale ends :)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I am so glad this worked out in the end. I could live with those fixes.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

That does look better. I didn't realize the left hand side of the stove had chipped out so much too, the small counter to the right could be replaced without too much cost. Though if you were planning on painting/replacing them soon anyway this is good enough. I thought it was new laminate and I would have insisted they replace the countertops in that case. Couldn't see the color of the end caps, but that was what I was talking about.

I hope they also gave you a good discount/rebate on top of fixing this, just for the hassle (and that fact that the fix wasn't perfect). I wouldn't have told the guy that I planned on repainting the counters.

You can *never* be sure someone's going to do a good job unless you see their work yourself. I got referrals for my builder (and you know how that turned out), and my step-uncle who is a terrific finish carpenter (has worked in 2 houses for me) told me his BIL installed tile, so I *assumed* he was just as meticulous, though I did call his references too, and the guy just doesn't know what he's doing (even though he's been doing it for decades), doesn't care about my property, and blamed ghosts for my loose tile (I've had him back 2 years in a row, don't really want to call him again but more loose tile now 3 years after install, some of it is in areas he's already reset).

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You could also get something like this for the gap:
    {{gwi:1736061}}

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz