SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave11_gw

Removing just the end of a concrete/cinder block wall

dave11
14 years ago

I'm planning to remove just the end of a concrete ("cinder") block wall in my basement. The wall is about twenty feet long, and at one end is a steel I-beam supporting the floor joists, and at the other end of the wall, the blocks do not reach the ceiling, and are there just to form a partition. It's the partition end that I want to remove. About one and a half blocks, or 24 inches.

The mortar gives way to my rotary hammer (with chisel bit), and the first few blocks have come off easily, though the mortar of the surrounding blocks seems to loosen a bit as well, from the movement of block i'm working on. This would be fine if I were removing the whole wall, but obviously, most of it needs to stay. So I need to be careful.

Eventually, I will need to cut a block in half, on every other course, to even out the end of the wall. My question is whether I should just cut the respective block in half while in place, using a masonry blade, or whether I should remove those blocks entirely, and replace with a pre-cast half-block. That would make the edge look neater. But might breaking those original blocks loose weaken the surrounding blocks (which I need to keep)?

Appreciate any input.

Comments (3)