SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Rant: Super White is damaged and they never told us!

nhbaskets
10 years ago

This afternoon we went to the supplier/fabricator/installer to place the templates on the Super White we had picked out on February 8. I've been having this recurring dream that the slabs would not be there when we arrived. My nightmare came true. After waiting for some time when we arrived, we were told that the slabs we had chosen were cracked, and therefore unusable. They discovered this two weeks ago when they installed slabs from the same bundle into a kitchen. Evidently, all the slabs in the bundle were cracked, and therefore returned. They asked if we had been contacted about this. Well, no. It's unclear who should have called us, this company or the developer of our new build. This is one of their subs. All we know is we did not receive a call.

We were presented with two new slabs of Super White. Two, not three that we had tagged back in early February. Seems that they are use to the developers 'normal' kitchens which only require two slabs. If you've read any of my other posts concerning our kitchen you know our kitchen is anything but 'the developers normal kitchen.' They told us that a third slab would be available tomorrow and we could come back then. Mind you, I had taken the afternoon off from work and driven over an hour to get there. The other alternative was to deal with the two slabs they presented to us and get an email picture of the third slab when it arrives tomorrow. We were assured it would be from the same bundle and look just the same.

Since we were concerned with seams matching up (at the sink and cooktop), we decided to place the templates on the two available slabs and hope that the photo we receive tomorrow for the island is acceptable.

I do not not where the breakdown in communication occurred, but we are extremely disappointed that we were placed in this situation of having to accept two slabs, plus one sight-unseen, after spending the time two months ago choosing the desired slabs for our kitchen. If the problem was known two weeks ago, I think we should have been notified well in advance by someone. That way, we also would have ensured that three slabs, at a minimum, were available today.

To top it off, the amount of stone required increased by 30ft over what was originally estimated. That's another $2k we'll need to come up with. I guess I should have taken responsibility to forward the final kitchen design rather than expecting this to be done by the developer. Shame on me!

These are photos of our original slabs and what we saw today. While the new slabs are beautiful, IMO they are not as dramatic as what we had originally chosen. Yes, these turned out to be damaged, but to not be given any choice really irks me.

Comments (16)