SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homersmom

Would you choose an arbor, pergola, or nothing ?

homersmom
13 years ago

We are having a little landscaping done, and I've always wanted a pergola or an arbor. My landscaper drew up a plan for a pergola over the little deck, but because of the transom windows, he has to go higher and I'm not thrilled with the plan given the slider overhang. Another option would be to put an arbor over the steps down to the patio. I'm having a hard time envisioning this, but thought I'd put it out there for any opinions. My other option is to just do what I've been doing for several years - lots of pots. There aren't too many right now since we're going to have the work done in the next couple of weeks. This deck has never looked "finished" to me, so I'm open to any suggestions. We are definitely putting in new flooring (wood-tone) as well as new fascia boards and stair risers (white). Here are a couple of pics looking at the deck from the patio, and looking out onto the yard from the deck. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (59)

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks. We were posting at the same time so I didn't see your question. I redid the first drawing and "replaced the original" on photobucket but it didn't change it here so here's a bit of color to maybe help you understand what I was thinking of.
    {{!gwi}}
    The red lines are added pieces in front of the transoms so you could work around, in front of, the transoms. You'd attach the blue colored slats to the red colored piece that would be attached to the slats on either side of it shown in green. Those slats would be attached to the house just as all the others slats are.
    I'm not sure that would be strong enough so you might want to attach brackets on either side of the door against the house to strengthen those slats. Like I said I'm not sure it would work, but if you really want a pergola without going higher it might be worth asking about.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I love your deck just the way it is, very clean-lined. If you need shade, I would just add an unbrella to your table.

• Related Discussions

Do you think my new pergola/arbor is to busy?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi. Really nice arbor you have there. And I think that is Confederate jasmine growing on it? Yes, indeed, that plant will not take long reaching the top and your question will not need an answer at all. It took ONE such plant to turn a 4x4 8' tall post into an evergreen column thick as an oak trunk on Government Street! And every May and June, it is covered in lovely white star shaped blooms. In Italy they use this plant to cover wire fences, grow up and along the arched doorways in Tuscany. Nice thing is, it stays evergreen in our climate, it keeps leaves all along its stems from top to bottom. Which is different than the Carolina jessamine, which creates leafless stems at the bottom and top growth of leaves with its poisonous yellow flowers. Depending on whether you want an open base showing your support columns, with greenery on the top alone, or the whole thing covered in time with really lovely growth, the message is: you won't be able to see the details of the top woodwork in a couple of years. To show you what I mean, I'm uploading a picture of a much larger pergola near the pool of the villa where we stayed in Italy. The gardener trimmed these star jasmine (as they call it outside the south) on the pergola, as well as on a jasmine HEDGE. What they did with the jasmine was an inspiration to me. So much so that I am now planting jasmine to cover a new 7 foot chainlink 100 foot long fence so it will become a really pretty privacy fence in about two years. I'll also put a link below to my album of the house and gardens in this villa near Orvieto so you can see how their garden plants are SO MUCH LIKE OURS IN ALABAMA. Hope you agree. This one shows the hedge, the arbor, and how they relate to the pool Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Villa near Orvieto
    ...See More

Privacy vine/willow screen for arbor/pergola

Q

Comments (5)
    I think I spotted a few willow screens at Loblaws. But you probably would be more successful if you visit garden centres. Hydrangeas will work in dark areas but I'm not sure how it will work in a mucky and clay soil. However it is the ideal plant for dark corners. Whatever plant you choose, you need to condition that soil to provide good drainage Also choose mature plants so that it can reach whatever sunlight that's available. Vines that require regrowth from the ground each year, will not work. If the top area is sunlit, you can probably install a mature wisteria.
    ...See More

Lighting to put on an Arbor/Pergola

Q

Comments (1)
    You'd need a solar panel, large enough battery and low voltage lighting. Perhaps a low voltage dimmer would also be required All would need an ipx65 or better water resistant rating. Goalzero has the first 2 and barebones living has the last item. Btw, the 2 companies are related. If the style of the lights is unsuitable, superbrightleds or environmentallights could offer alternatives.
    ...See More

Pergola/Arbor

Q

Comments (1)
    What you must consider are local conditions for wind and snow load. Yes, you can span the distance but might need to double the rafters at the bearing points. I would suggest speaking with your local building department for their requirements. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    13 years ago

gwbr54 hit the nail on the head, although I like the pergola plan as well. It should work. Either one would make the deck look finished. Beautiful yard...I'd want to spend every waken moment out there. Cute dogs, too!

• User
    13 years ago

What I'd do is do the arbor on the two sides of the deck away from the house, with the arches coming down the steps. Do not know how far you should go, but keep it open and wide.

The two "wings" to the arbor on the deck itself, have benches built into the arbor frame, but not protruding into any part of the passage around the deck or down the steps.

Yes indeed, I'd add the arbor! It would really jazz up the importance of your small deck, and yet not interfere with the lovely windows on your house.

A wonderful place for climbing New Dawn roses, which are soft pink and would go beautifully with your house color.
    It will be a gorgeous sanctuary!

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

A pergola would block the light coming into the transoms even if you found a way to attach it. I was going to suggest a baulustrade too, and was searching BHG.com for a picture I saw in magazine yesterday of an Oriental type screen on top of a railing, found these.

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/08/a_1241411.gif

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/walls/curved-privacy-screen/

http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/outdoor/installation/build-a-grillwork-screen-vine-pole/

http://www.remodelingcenter.com/exterior-landscape/ideas/trellis-fence-screens/?catref=rem31&page=7

http://images.meredith.com/remodel/images/2008/08/ss_SIP887339.jpg

• Jamie
    13 years ago

I wouldn't attach anything more to the house or deck -- it would mean more maintenance and a place for critters to try to nest or infest. The way it looks now with the pots is simple and beautiful. Whatever you attach would become part of the house architecture, why spoil a good thing?

For your sense of romance, I would put an arbor elsewhere in the yard as folly or lawn decor. Or, consider putting a vestigial pergola over the little sidewalk I see off the the left - does that come from the garage? Either way, you could enjoy the shape of the new structure while sitting on the deck or patio, or even from inside the house.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the suggestions. DH likes the idea of a railing, but I'm still not convinced that we need it. I am pushing towards an arbor somewhere along the path and leaving the deck structure as is - just making the cosmetic changes as indicated in my o-p. I'll let you know what we decide and will post pics when the project is completed. Thanks again!!

• BriosaFarm
    13 years ago

homersmom, I know why you are wanting the arbor or pergola because I love them, too....but anything you put on that deck will put posts right in the way of your view from the house into that drop-dead gorgeous back yard and patio area. Really, I think it would make things look closed in and dark, not quite what you are hoping for. The trees themself already hang over things and provide a beautiful natural "arbor" effect. Noticed your black iron furniture....what about an iron arbor arch somewhere out in the garden, make a path through it with steppings stones ito the woods....or along the existing walk near the house (from the deck, looking along the house toward the corner behind the red tree?)

• ksoxgrl
    13 years ago

Homersmom, what a beautiful yard! Just a suggestion, but how about adding two window box floor planters to the left and right of the stairs. And maybe a potted tree in the corner area behind the table! :)

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I think you would achieve a finished look in the proper scale AND add function to your deck by adding very simple benches along the two sides where the steps aren't. You might like to make them four feet shorter than the side, center them, and put fat pots on either end.

You'd gain the safety of a rail (I have seen people back right off a deck like yours when visiting and standing around), you don't have to go above 19 inches in height so none of the view is blocked from where you sit, and you create the boundaries that make the deck feel like a room in the garden.

I'd have them made with simple slab supports a foot in from each end, and I'd use the same decking for the seat, and stain them to match.

• natal
    13 years ago

Gorgeous yard! I second Browynsmom's suggestions for benches on the two sides. I wouldn't add anything with height that could block your views from inside the house.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Pretty yard!

Yes -- the deck does a tiny bit unfinished .... I do like the ideas for benches -- perhaps consider adding a handrail on each side of the steps?

Then -- for a dash of color -- add a patio umbrella up there -- behind the table and chairs? Maybe a red one -- similar in style to your elegant black one? And just a small red pillow to the lounge chair? And a couple of pots of red flowers to the end of the stairs?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• yborgal
    13 years ago

Just wondering...If you added a pergola, would it have to be attached to your home? Could the slats remain about 6" from your siding?

Lovely yard, by the way.

• airborne101
    13 years ago

DH does hardscape including patio covers, we are in the desert so I love all your greenery. Consider this- 2 headers placed on the side of your transom windows over the door,directly under the roof overhang, run out to the side of the deck. Two posts, one next to the window and one beside the bbq, put in footers in the grass. Lay the lattice on top of the headers parallel to the door, starting at the gutter edge. We use aluminum stamped with a wood pattern and painted finish, no warping or rotting. Take a look at MetalsUSA website. You can space the lattice as closely or widely as you like. That way you cover the deck for effect, but don't lose deck space with the posts off it. For ideas, see paradisebuilderslasvegas on the net.....not spam as we aren't anywhere close to where you live. Hope this helps. B

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, WOW! What a nice place! I relate tho. My front porch has that "unfinished look" due to no railing. It's a look. It's up to code....I'm gonna put a raiing on mine.

My FIL built a little porch on his GF house, no railing, he later came over to visit and fell off it, broke his hip and was gonna SUE her! I kid you not. I told him he should sue the builder. :0)

• annzgw
    13 years ago

My concern with building a pergola would be the amount of light you'll loose thru the doorway, transoms and window. Unless you're needing overhead protection from the weather, I'd probably skip anything overhead on the deck.
    On another note, have you ever considered enlarging the deck by extending it on the right side? Then DH could have his grill on the deck! :)

is a pic showing what bronwynsmom was suggesting and in the link below you'll see a good example of an arch leading to another area of the garden.

I strongly suggest you know exactly what you want before work begins and delay the start date if you need to.

Here is a link that might be useful: archway

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a little update - we've decided not to do a pergola or arbor over the deck/stairs. We're still throwing around the idea of a railing (not on stairs - can't flip up left side of grill with a railing there) or benches. My folks have the benches as Bronwynsmom suggested, but I don't know if we'd actually use them on our deck. I prefer my seating to have a back. Still thinking...

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of how we dodged a transom with the pergola framing; in this case the homeowner didn't want the sky view/light blocked, so we skipped on beam and made a light well. The same could apply in your situation; you would use an additional beam to avoid any framing at the transom for a certain distance, like 32" maybe?
    {{!gwi}}

Casey

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Whatever you decide, leaving the deck edges completely exposed, even though at the height from the ground the code might allow it, and it does look very clean and pretty, will create a hazard.

I agree with you that a railing would box you in, get in the way of your view of your beautiful yard when you are sitting down, and make the deck look smaller. You could put lines of large pots or long planter boxes on the open sides as an alternative to a railing, but I urge you to think carefully about leaving them unprotected. You need something there that someone would bump into before stepping accidentally off the edge. It's not a long fall, but an awkward one, with the potential for serious injury.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We normally do have pots at the edges, but I haven't put them out this year due to the fact that the work is going to be done soon. No one but DH and I are ever on this deck, so I am not worried about someone falling at this time.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DH and I were out on the patio this evening, discussing the many possibilities regarding the little deck. He is totally smitten with Becky's virtual with the white railings (he's a Maine-wannabe at heart) and I'm OK with that. Even though we'll lose a little view, we can always move on down to the lower level for an unobstructed view of the yard. Of course tomorrow is another day and I'm sure we'll have a similar discussion. Stay tuned...

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Gorgeous yard! Can't tell style of house, but there are loads of deck railing designs. I especially like Chippendale, such as sombreuil posted above. Since you have black iron furniture, a black deck floor, with white railings could look really sharp. And maybe brick color on stair risers.

Other railing options:

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

I totally vote for the benches - probably in the same color as the deck flooring.

That yard is to-die-for and I would hate to block the view.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

If *I* had such a wonderful, gorgeous, HUGE, and all-around fantastic backyard like yours, I would be completely happy!!! But since you've asked the question, a pergola would be a nice finishing touch. ;o)

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I'm in love with your yard, just like everyone else! It seems to me that since you already have shaded yard space, very close to where you are considering putting the pergola, I think I'd skip it (though I love pergolas). If you are wanting to make the deck look a little more finished, maybe the rail or benches as others have suggested would be better.

• rjinga
    13 years ago

I know you mention new decking and risers, but have you considered adding some color by painting? I know another umbrella was suggested, this would definitely help too. And since you normally have more pots out, I think that in and of itself would add enough enclosure to work, obviously some taller things etc. I think a pergola would also be really nice.

Overall that is just a dream back yard to me.

• User
    13 years ago

What about a sunbrella roll out/retractable awning?

• User
    13 years ago

forgot link to photo

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• skyanne_9
    13 years ago

You've done a super job of creating a lush & serene yard! Have you thought about taking the stairs around all 3 sides? You might even be able to incorporate (risers perhaps?) some stone to tie it to your paver area. I think that may help to give it the finished look without interferring with the great view.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for awning pic, Becky. My folks have one on their deck and it's a perfect solution for the hot sun. We thought about it for ours, but those transoms make it tough to work around. We don't really sit up there in the heat of the day, so shelter from the sun isn't a priority. We're leaning towards a railing in white. I am trying to talk DH into the glass panels instead of traditional deck balusters, which might help preserve the view. I've picked up a few samples of decking and railing systems and am in the process of checking the web for product reviews. We're considering Timbertech XLM planks in desert bronze for the decking and Fiberon Clear Vision system for the panels.

Sky - that's a good idea, but the steps would run into the grill and that's not going anywhere since it's set into the ground.

• eagertopaint
    13 years ago

homersmom, I love your beautiful yard and patio and deck just the way that it is..however, here are some photos of how we built a pergola at the back of our screened porch. Just to give you an idea that a pergola can really be built anywhere.

{{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Ever the opinionated one, I am voting for railings that match your decking or that are dark in another way. White is the most visible of choices, and interferes the most with a view. It sits squarely in the foreground, reflecting light back at you, and cutting up the picture.

Dark browns, grays, and deep gray-blues are the colors of shadows, and melt into the natural landscape. (Oddly enough, greens, unless they are very dark and grayed down, stand out more than the other colors.) That's one reason that people who have divided light windows looking out over a lovely view will often paint the interior trim black.

• BriosaFarm
    13 years ago

With your existing furniture, umbrella, light fixture, I can see black iron railing (or black painted aluminum that looks like wrought iron) railing....it would provide a small finishing touch that goes with what you already have (that GORGEOUS yard and patio!) but not stand out or chop up your beautiful view....then you could put a piece of black iron fence and arbor somewhere else in the yard or along the sidewalk and it would all go together. Just my thoughts, your yard, deck, and patio are so beautiful already but I do keep seeing just a little black metal railing tying it all together and since you love arbors I think you should put one somewhere farther out from the house somewhere!

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eagertopaint - WOW! What a lovely back yard and outdoor room. You have me thinking twice about my decision to go with just a railing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

bronwynsmom - Thanks for the lesson in color. I could have made a very expensive mistake so I will be reconsidering my current choice.

briosfarm - Unfortunately DH won't go for a black railing. It looks like I'm back to square one. I'll get that arbor someday!

I've got decking samples sitting out on the deck - some are really hot on bare feet. I also have to consider my pups, who like to lay on the deck. Decisions, decisions.

• suero
    13 years ago

I'd put a bench on the side to serve as a safety device and at the same time not block your view. The bench would be 17-18" high, which makes it easy to see over, even when you're seated at the table.

• User
    13 years ago

I agree with Bronwynsmom that benches either side of the steps, with pots flanking them will give more seating, and also better assure safety for any guests.

At my house, I also wanted what I called a low deck, and even then they MADE me put a railing. I could have opted for the benches, but our deck measures 10 x 12. So I had them add a wide board to the top on which to set smaller pots while I work with them.

In your case, the low and fairly wide benches would do the trick.

• User
    13 years ago

Speaking as a landscaper ... you don't have enough room for a pergola or arbor on that deck.

It needs a bit of time for the bushes to grow up, and looks like it needs a bench and some hand rails for the steps to make it look less "plugged in" and more like it belongs to the house.

You might make an exit arch at the stairs, but that would block the view of the garden.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

moccasinlanding - I don't think I can convince DH to go with benches. It seems like a perfect solution, however neither of us find them comfortable, and since we're the only two people who spend time on this deck, it doesn't make sense to go that route.

Lazygardens - thanks for the professional opinion.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I think a simple metal arbor with an arch would look nice at the bottom stair. You could have a climbing vine (purple morning glory) or some twinkle lights. I got a string of fire fly lights a few years ago and they are so danged cute.

• natal
    13 years ago

Homersmom, I think the benches have been suggested as a way to finish the deck without blocking any of your views ... not so much as a seating area. You obviously already have a table & chairs on the deck with additional seating in your yard.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

If you decide to get all fancy, something like this would be nice.

{{!gwi}}

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

suero - Thanks for the bench virtual.

kitchenkelly - The arbor idea has been nixed, but thanks for the response.

natal - Got it. Thanks for clarification.

vampiressrn - That's one fancy arbor!

Still thinking.....

• User
    13 years ago

Homersmom ... A simple white railing would tie the deck into the house visually, and you could hang some potted plants on it.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lazygardens - DH is now rolling his eyes because, in true gemini fashion, I've gone back and forth on this whole issue a million times. We had pretty much decided to do a white railing, then I read bronwynsmom's color lesson about white breaking up the view. I guess that I just need to decide which is more important, the view from the deck or the feeling of the deck being a little private room off the house/patio. I am OK with the look of a white railing when I am entering the garden from the path (off the driveway.) That said, the natural colors of a wood-tone railing would tie in the natural elements, not to mention the trim on the barn (which is what we see when sitting at the deck cafe table.) I guess the question is what do I think is more important - looking out or looking in. Thanks again for your input.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The verdict is in - railing on sides AND stairs. Thanks again for your input. I'll post pics when the work is completed.

• User
    13 years ago

I didn't think a railing on the stairs would work because of the grill "wings". I hope this will give the look you were hoping for. Decisions like this are so hard to make.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was surprised when DH said that he never uses the tray on the left, and to get the stair railings. Now my decision is color. The flooring will most likely be Timbertech XLM desert bronze or rustic bark. I like the look of the white railing from the house, but in the back of my mind I keep remembering bronwynsmom's lesson about brown and darker colors fading into the landscape. DH likes the white and thinks that it makes the space feel more intimate. I don't know if it would feel as "cozy" with a darker color railing. I hate making these kind of decisions. I just don't have a "gut" feeling on this one.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Vampiressrn that is gorgeous and with New Dawn roses that would be icing on the cake. But I see Homersmom is going in another direction, that little gemini. (lol)

....Jane

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

Homersmon:

Here is a photo of what we did on our deck. It is a mixture of black iron and wood. Now please do not look at the deck color that was a big mistake and is going to be done over shortly in another color. But we are very happy with the railing, bought at Home depot.
    I agree with Brownswyn about the color white standing out too much. You have a lovely yard.
    {{!gwi}}

• homersmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lyban - what color is your house? I'm just a little concerned that a brown deck and railing would look "stuck onto" my white house. The white railing kind of fades into the house when you're approaching the deck from the pathway.