SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisk327

What do I need to do to get started

chrisk327
15 years ago

Ok, we've finally decided to do a second story additon to my cape cod style house. Now the issue is at what point we bring in the contractor. I spoke to one last year regarding my roof and discussed a dormer with him, for a general idea of cost, which hopefully is somewhat in the ballpark

My wife and I sketched a layout for the interior, we have a few ideas about the exterior, but nothing definitive, and not sure what to do regarding that.

We could theoretically pick out bathroom fixtures, get prices on these, flooring etc to have a better idea of costs to give the contractor, but I'm not sure if we really need to do that at this point.

Addition is a full second story about 900sqft, will include 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, replacing the stairs (i think) and siding the house. All with medium grade finishes.

I'm not sure if we should be finding an architect, talking to contractors and then finding one, or just dealing with contractors? This isn't a high end remodel, it is very normal to do in our area. I just don't want it completely cookie cutter.

My concern is that if I go talk to an architect that it will cost a fortune, maybe I'm wrong.

Comments (8)