SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

*Sigh* .. We are talking about repainting the house.

zipdee
14 years ago

I noticed the people directly across the street from us has had painters there prepping and scraping down their house. Well much to my surprise and dismay, when I saw the new color go up on one side, it's the *exact* same color as our house. :(

The paint was delivered from Sherwin Williams and I'll bet you all about anything that the color is Compatible Cream. They mentioned several time how much they love what we've done with the house, the changes we've made in color and landscaping. It never dawned on me they'd paint their house the *exact* same color though since they live *right* across the road from us. I've fairly dissapointed and a bit frusterated about this .. we've put alot of work in here the past two year to make the house look fairly original. My Dh is all for picking a new color, I love the house this color, but I don't think I'm going to be happy with it once their house is finished. The style of home is just too much a like, it's going to be very noticable and I think rather ood looking.

Long story short I may be asking for color picking advice again .. Here's our house again. Anyone have any great suggestions for new colors?

Comments (123)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Your home has always been one of my favorites!! It oozes southern charm and the yellow color you used just makes it glow in a warm and happy way. That your neighbors choose to copy you is flattery in it's highest form, yet I well understand how it offends your sense of individualism.....that's so sad. Especially after all the work you've done to improve the visual perception from the street. That said, I also love the vibrant red you posted that Squirrelheaven photo shopped - it makes the house stand out, yet in a very positive way, and with your Annabelles in full bloom I can imagine that it would be stunning. So that's my vote, should you decide to repaint. You have a knack for putting together a lovely house image from the street, I'm sure whatever you do will be attractive!

• tropicals9b
    14 years ago

I should admit I've saved your pic from the first time you posted to paint my house. We also have a dark blue roof and I just couldn't figure out what color to paint - for 10 years! So we are finally going to paint this year and it will be yours. But I live in Florida! lol

• Related Discussions

We've talked about products we love. What about...

Q

Comments (25)
    I like Burt's Bees shampoo & conditioner, especially the new one "Super Shiny" because it tames my dry hair. However, there was a BB's product I tried years ago that was so awful it actually caused me pain. I'm referring to the Theraputic Bath Crystals. When I put it in the bath water my skin felt like it was been burnt alive. I couldn't jump out of the water fast enough. I've read reviews where others have had the same reaction but most people don't seem to experience a problem so I guess it depends on how sensitive your skin it. Mikasa...years ago I bought a couple of their white soup bowls open stock and loved how durable they were. So was I surprised a few years later to see how much the quality had changed when I bought an extra one. Utensils left ugly marks on the bowl that didn't wash out, even a spoon was removing the finish. I thought surely this is a fluke so I got another one and the same thing happened. Don't know what Mikasa changed but that product has gone downhill since I first bought it.
    ...See More

Can we talk about tile and grout and wood....please

Q

Comments (6)
    There's no such thing as "tile and grout" per se. There are worlds of different tile *and* grout now so that you have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Grey grout is a wonderful thing. In the 90s, I spent way too much time on my hands and knees cleaning white grout between the cheap white ceramic tiles in the bathrooms of our last house. HATED it. We also had less than 10-year-old vinyl in the kitchen (I didn't choose it--the PO did) that had yellowed. Fast forward to our new house: we have put gold/beige throughbody (same color all the way through -- great in case of chipping, which hasn't happened) porcelain tile with either Laticrete natural grey or TEC standard grey grout in the baths and laundry/mud room (it gets muddy in Oregon, esp. with an outdoorsy family) and it's practically bulletproof. If you want even more bulletproof, get your installer to use epoxy grout (not in changes of plane, though! caulk only there!) and dirt won't have the slightest chance of sticking. The only thing that would move me in the direction of a 'resilient floor' would be the softness underfoot. If that is important, and it's a nice feature as we age and our knees hurt more, I'd go with that. Vinyl has also improved its technology such that the higher end ones are much more durable in terms of color and puncture. You could underfloor-heat wood or tile, but not vinyl, as I understand the current technology. So I'm throwing some other factors in there, and trying to make sure you are judging on specifics.
    ...See More

Can we talk about this house plan?

Q

Comments (34)
    I'm a "guest", too! It matters to me what I see when I enter my own house! We typically come in through the garage, and the garage is in the back - a basement garage. My late husband and I realized that we needed to landscape the area around the large concrete pad in front of the 2-car garage. It looked like the "trade entrance"! So, we put down railroad ties, and put plants in around the fenced perimeter. Over the years, more has been added, in particular up agains the fence on the outer side of the driveway. Ours is an unfinished basement that became a SEMI-finished basement. We put up drywall, and painted the walls, put down carpet and added some leftover furniture to the area where we enter. We walled in the old open basement steps and put risers where they had been open in the past. What a transformation at little cost! Now, I get to enter my home and see something attractive! You may not care what your "guests" see (and yes, family ARE guests!), but others may well do so. Aesthetics and beauty are very important to many people. If it were not part of our DNA, we'd all still be living in caves and there sure would be no GW!
    ...See More

Can we talk about sink rail width?

Q

Comments (15)
    Joe - you always give such helpful answers! If you are considering an apron front but are keeping your present cabinets, or have already ordered a standard sink base cabinet, there are a few "short" apron front sinks that can be installed on a standard cabinet. The Kohler Whitehaven (cast iron) and the Kohler Vault (stainless steel) both also come in a "short apron" style, and I believe Elkay now makes one too - possibly fireclay - but I am not sure. The short apron is a slightly different look, so look at one at a plumb supply shop before considering. I am also 5'1" - like watchmelol. I keep hearing how much us shorter people like the apron front sinks.
    ...See More
  • juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I love the first mock up posted by squirrel on 6/26 at 14:14: "a silky rich, mossy chartreuse-y color. Lighter and darker versions." What is that color? Also loving the robins-egg blue!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the continued help and comments!

Dilly .. thanks for your thoughts on posting the pictures.

Enailes .. our trim color is SW Dover white.

Lindseylulu .. welcome to the boards!

Juddgirl .. I bet Squirrel will see this soon, my DH likes the idea of green on the house a lot.

Nanny, thanks so much for the kind comments!

• megsy
    14 years ago

Zipdee, how's it coming on their house? Did I miss an update?

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Megsy .. nope, I hadn't updated yet. I've been waiting for them to paint the top dormer, which they finished this morning.

This is not a great picture, it's from my porch .. to get a better one, I'd have to march up to the road take the picture. Then take the chance of explaining what the heck I'm doing. *LOL*

Upside : They are in full sun, we are in full shade .. the color looks a lot lighter on their house because of this.

Downside : I counted the houses on our street that are yellow .. in a four block area now there's 14 yellow houses, 7 blue houses, 2 gray, 5 white, 4 taupe .. the rest are brick. ( No green or red ) It wasn't so bad because we were the only one on this block and it was a totally different yellow for anything surrounding us .. but now that's a different story.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That's really aggravating to have to actually see from your front porch ¡size> Especially since they even Asked for the color : (

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Oh, now I see! Yours is similar enough in front structure to make the two appear the same, or like copy-cats. That must be so infuriating! I'd be livid....even though it is a compliment to your design taste.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I am on stun-mode at the moment... I just assumed the house was different enough that maybe the color-stealing would be okay. Now, I see this!

Sadly, I think I'd be whipping out my fandecks, too.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yup, it's mind boggling .. I knew you guys woulld think so too. Their house is different than our's as far as roof line, porch columns, stuff like that. It's still a 1 1/2 story bungalow type house though and it's close enough in body style to make the whole thing look very strange. :(

I'm not sure what color we're going to re-paint yet, but come this fall when the weather cools a bit and my DH has a little more time, it's in the works. I love the red, but with all the orange/red brick we have, I don't think it's going to work. On each side of us is lighter blue/gray homes. My thoughts turn to green .. my only true worry about green is, we are in the shade and surrounded by trees and greenery .. I'm a little worried the house will just blend in.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Augh! Maddening. But your house is a lot cuter. Your roof goes better with the yellow than theirs does too. You've done so much hard work on your house and it really shows off. It's so adorable.

That's funny that your neighbors won't meet your gaze -- like naughty children who know they've done wrong -- and they did it anyway! How pathetic.

So what are you and your DH thinking now? Planning to just ignore it? Or paint it red?

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Yeah, I'd be bummed too. Imitation being the sincerest from of flattery notwithstanding.

I'd still vote for the red as a change. That or the gray/purple color (but then purple is my favorite color...).

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops .. we were posting at the same time Oceanna :) We are going to re-paint, I'm just not sure what color yet.

Squirrel .. Were greens you put up your own custom blends ? Does anyone have a suggestion to something close to those colors? I'm think something not too brite green, but not really a sage color either. Maybe something a little different than you normally see in the green vaules on most home and would still allow me to keep the cottage type look I've been working on? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much for all the help you guys have given me here .. also the shoulder to cry on.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Yes, zipdee, I just use Squirrely mixes.

• megsy
    14 years ago

OMG I'm steaming for you right now. What a major PITA.

I'd paint too. Grrrr.

I really, really love the red. Can we see a pic of your bricks?

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys for validating my concerns with this.

Megsy .. We have the front brick walk that you see in the pics above. Also around the side of the porch is an original brick patio, brick piers under some of the colunms and the foundation is brick. We covered up the front foundation with lattice because the previous owners did some bad repair work on it, then smeared it with stucco to cover up the issues.

Here's a quick shot of the brick around on the patio and some of the piers, the foundation is the same. This is original to the house and does have an orange cast to it, I don't think a clear red would work with it.

This is two springs ago. I wish I had taken a picture before the storm we got the other day, I have this area all planted with daisies, hanging pots red trailing petunias .. the rain knocked them about flat the other day though, I'm hoping they rebound.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Zipdee, would you be open to a dark grayed green? There is a house not far from mine that has a color that I can't take my eyes off whenever I walk by. It's definitely different. I can try to snap a pic if you're interested.

• OKMoreh
    14 years ago

I might talk about repainting, but I wouldn't do it.

:: It will not look exactly the same as your house, no matter what they do.

:: On the other hand, when you look out your front windows, you will get to see the color that you liked well enough to choose it for your own house.

:: Your neighbors all know that you chose it first.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bungalow house, thanks so much for the offer, we had a deep taupish/gray/green on the house before we painted it yellow and it was never what I really wanted. I've looked and looked for pictures of the whole house painted that color, but I can just find snips here and there.

Here's the front, before we changed the door back to the original and before we re-did the columns back to the original .. shows the greenish/gray body color and brick red porch and door.

I think these are safe to show .. my baby in this picture is now almost 10 and my oldest is as tall as me. :)

These were taken around on the patio, you can see the variation of brick colors, parts of the foundation are quite orangish .. the patio it's self is not this orange.

Notice my two oldest serious looks and their posture away from their sister .. like they are agreeing, just don't make eye contact with the little one .. it will be okay. ;) Yes my youngest has always had a temper. *LOL*

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I would not repaint. Your house is so much nicer with your roof color.
    Could you post a new photo of yours with your new plantings.
    Perhaps play up your blue roof and have a handpainted blue sign in wood on the wall next to your front door.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lyban, our roof just looks blue in the pictures, it's really black though. We used black onxy architectural shingles when we re-roofed.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Adorable children! :); :)

• lyfia
    14 years ago

I can definetly see now why you are upset. That is just too close in color and style house. Could you do a lighter green with red window details and white/creamish window trim. I've seen this on Sandyponders house and love the look.

I don't think a green will blend too much if you choose one that isn't part of your plantings, which I doubt you'd want anyways. I think it will provide a nice backdrop to it instead.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Newhomebuilder :) Even these days when my youngest is being grouchy her sisters still stay clear of her. *LOL* Thankfully as she's grown up those times are much more few and far between. ;)

Lyfia .. thank you for the color suggestions. Sandyponder's house is beautiful.

Right now photobucket is down, but as soon as I can get the picture loaded I'll show you guys my favorite red house with black and white striped awning! Yes, I'm still 'lusting' over red, even though it's not a go here. I love the picture where Squirrel made the front brick walk black.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Of course soon as I post photobucket comes back up. I love this house, I know it's shaped nothing like mine at all. See the wall is made out of some dark brick that doesn't clash with the red though. *sigh* I could just see this awning over the back deck.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

When you first mentioned red, I thought of this house. I always admire it when I go by it, too.

Could you get a red that doesn't clash with the patio and walk, and then camouflage the foundation brick with plantings? Because you like it so much, and you want something unique in your neighborhood, red seems to be the way to go.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

It made me smile to see those three little smiling faces when I opened this thread today! They're precious!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the picture Bungalow House .. that home is wonderful. Are the porch floor and the step treads painted gray? I think the foundation here would be very easy to hide, it's the walk and patio that would be the challenge. I'm almost wondering if they could be dyed to some how tweak them enough to work?

Thanks AuntJen, I'm glad their pics made you smile. :)

I'm putting these up just cause I told you about them and I'm happy my daisies are rebounding, I was fairly certain they were going to die after picking everyone off the ground. They still are no where near as full, but they're coming back. You can see the stairs coming off the porch onto the patio in the pic.

• megsy
    14 years ago

What about staining the brick? (I just love the red)

• natal
    14 years ago

I still think you're crazy for painting again so quickly. Your house looks much better. Different roof lines, shakes/shingles on the dormer, door, brick walkway, lattice ... why not add some working shutters to distinguish it even more?

• crashboombang
    14 years ago

Well, just in case you're still considering the red, I'll give you a picture of mine. It's red with white trim and we're happy with the color choice. Pardon the general ugliness around the house, this was the "before" picture for landscaping (it's only slightly improved at this point - LOL) and I still had beach towels up as blinds in my youngest son's room. One thing I'll throw out there for you that I didn't think about until it came time to start landscaping.... with the red, I've been very hesitant to use many of the available beautiful red plants/flowers, because I'm afraid they'll either disappear against or clash with the house, but that may just be me.

From Pot Rack

Also, if you're considering darker colors... I've also always loved the look of a dark almost navy-ish blue with white trim and brick and when we were deciding on colors for our house it was back and forth between the red and dark blue. I added a link of this general color combination from the Sherwin Williams color visualizer, for what it's worth. I know the house style isn't exactly like yours, but it had a dark roof and some brick also. Their colors always come out WAY lighter on my monitor than they are on the swatches, so the main color I used actually looks black on the swatch. I made the shutters the same color as the siding, since your house doesn't have shutters. Hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you choose!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams dark blue house

• crashboombang
    14 years ago

Sorry, I don't think that link worked in that last post, let me try again....

Here is a link that might be useful: SW house

• crashboombang
    14 years ago

Oh my, it still didn't work! For some reason, when I copy and paste this

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/index.html#d=s;i=144;c=2678;p=2678:2071:2678

as my website, then change the 2 :'s separating the numbers at the end of the link to the straight line that's on the same key as the "\" - it works, when I try to post it here as a link it doesn't?? If I type the straight line thingy, it gets changed to a ':' even in the body of this message - weird??? I think I'm just a moron! Hopefully you can use the address above with the changes if you're interested. Sorry for posting a thousand times!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Zip, I can bet that your relationship with the neighbors across the street isn't great now. I don't blame you in the least for wanting to re-paint.

Do you think it might be a good idea to talk to them (if you can!) and tell them that you are going to re-paint your house? That while flattered, you would prefer not to have the same color directly across the street? I DOUBT they'd paint theirs AGAIN, but what if they follow you onto the next color in a few years? Are they that kooky that they might do it?

They may apologize and offer to buy the paint for your re-do! They SHOULD.....

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful red, Crash. Which one is it?

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Crash .. your home is beautiful! Thanks so much for posting it.

My3dogs .. my Dh is going to talk to the DH of the equation about it.

Natal, we had shutter on our home before painting it yellow. When I posted pictures of them here people thought the house looked better with out them, now that they're off I agree it does.

At this point I'm still not sure what we're going to do. Green just doesn't make my heart sing for this house. I'm not sure if I want to dye the brick to facilitate painting the house red, because once it's done, there's no going back .. it pretty much would lock me into red from here on out. So I'm still up in the air what to do.

• valzone5
    14 years ago

That is realllly annoying.

Your house is so beautiful. I hate that you have to repaint it - the color that you chose is perfect. That said, I can see why you'd want to.

I like your thoughts on red. I am drawn to red houses for some reason. Here's a link to one that I want to buy. It's a little darker than the others shown (although not as dark as it seems in the picture).

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=7912254

There is a growing trend where I live - orange houses. Not sure if that's too 'out there' for you, but I have seen some really stunning orange houses. I wish I'd taken some pictures so you could see. I just ran down the street and took a picture of this one because it's just around the corner. I love this house. Sometimes there are hot-pink pigs in the front window - so colorful! It's not for everyone, but I love it - so cheery.

{{!gwi}}

Here's another house that I am smitten with. It's a darker orange - more the color of a pumpkin.

{{!gwi}}

Here's a link to the MLS listing for the bright orange house - there are a couple more pictures on there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange House

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Well I'll be a dissenting voter here - I'd not paint my house at least not in the near future. I just had my house painted and it was pretty expensive - is DH painting or will you hire someone?

It just seems that you could take that money and use it to finish or decorate something else in your house. Since it looks so much lighter than yours, I would doubt anyone is driving down the street and is thinking OMG - those two houses are both yellow. What were the homeowners thinking? I know lots of neighborhoods where there's a ton of white houses side by side and no one gives it another thought. I think it's something you're sensitive to, and rightfully so, but don't you have something better to use that money for? :-)

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Val .. Wow, I would have never thought I'd like an orange house, but both of those are quite attractive. I don't think I'd like orange on our house, but those houses are awesome, thanks for posting them for me!

Caroleoh .. Oh .. we have tons of places that money could go as far as renovating and decorating :) My Dh and I would paint the house, we've always painted our own houses .. but even the cost of paint is expensive .. enough so that I could buy new furniture for the living room.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Zip, your home is one of my favorites, and as much as I like the reds (or many of the other pretty colors), I just don't think any of them do it justice as well as what you have now. I'd keep it as it is and buy new LR furniture or whatever else makes your heart sing.

• natal
    14 years ago

Val, I've noticed the same trend around here too, but it wasn't until I first saw this orange beauty. Still remains my favorite!

Here is a link that might be useful: DJ's orange house

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

We have two orange houses on our court. One is a deep medium orange that is done really well. The other is a pastel peach with bright white and gray/taupe accents that is just hideous. Unfortunately the hideous one is the one right at the end of the court so we see it every day. I think orange is oneo of those colors you have to be really, really careful with in order to make it look good.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Val, I cannot get over the price of that house-- and it's a 6 bedroom? Gorgeous!!! Go get it!

I love the orange homes you posted, too, esp. the lighter one.

Zip, the more I look at yours vs. theirs-- and I'm not just trying to be nice-- the more I think there is just no comparison. The other house may be the same color, but yours has that WOW factor. I understand your neighbors (not that I condone what they did) . . .when I look at rooms I love and try to copy them, there are some elements there that are the same, but since I am not gifted in decorating, there isn't the same "Ohmygosh!" reaction. It's almost like the color isn't even important (can I say that on this board?) because your overall look is pulled together amazingly.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

It's late and I haven't been able to read all of the posts, but if you are looking for a great green, try Cambridge Hall by Sherwin Williams. But BEWARE -- we've had at least 4 houses in the immediate area copy our color-- LOL ;0)!

• les917
    14 years ago

Well, I don't see that there is any reason to repaint. So what if their house is the same color? Yours has far more style and grace and interest. I cannot fathom that anyone would be concerned that two homes, even two similar homes, were a similar color.

I love red, but when I see that mockup of your house in red, I stop noticing the home and fine details, and all I SEE is red. The house feels squattier, too.

Leave your wonderful house the color that it is, and enjoy it. Use the money elsewhere that you would spend on painting - on something that stems from joy, not anger. Down the road, it will make you much happier, I think.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Zipdee, I hope you have decided not to paint. Have you?

But the next time you do paint, I vote for the red. I just read that red makes people hungry, so I'd paint it red and watch the people across the street get fat from looking across at your house. Serves 'em right! ;oP

• valzone5
    14 years ago

anele - it has structural damage, but once I get a job (got laid off in the spring) I plan to get an estimate to repair the foundation and see if it's doable. It's got 4 bedrooms in the main house, and the attached apartment has 2 bedrooms. It's a gorgeous house. I have fallen in love with it. It just might be too much of a money pit, but we'll see.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I think you have a lovely house and I wouldn't repaint. It looks perfect the way it is now. I suggest you just "let it go" as far as being upset at the color the neighbor is painting. Like you said, there are 14 yellow houses in your neighborhood.

It's a popular color, but your neighbor's house really doesn't look like yours. I bet most people in the neighborhood won't even notice it is the same yellow.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts, opinions and help! You all are great and I really appreciate the time you've put into helping me out! I'm still not positive what I'm going to do, but at this time I'm leaning towards leaving the house yellow and trying to make it more unique through the use of out door accessories, furniture and the gardens, which I try to add something major too each year.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Val, I am excited for you! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works out!

Zip, glad to hear you are reconsidering leaving it. I think it looks amazing as-is.