SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celinabobeena

Can we talk about this house plan?

celinabobeena
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are looking to build next spring (if we sell our house, fingers crossed!) on 32 acres in the Pacific Northwest (north Puget Sound) that we're purchasing from family. The land has been in my husband's family for over 100 years, and it is so amazing to be able to continue the legacy and keep the history going. It was a working dairy farm for about 80 of those years.

Approximately 22 of the acres are wooded hillside. 10 or so acres are flat pasture and outbuildings (4 barns, milking parlor, shop, etc). We would be building on an acre on the edge of the property to keep the rest of the pasture available for cattle. Views out of the rear of the house will be of the beautiful hillside, and out of the front of the house will be the river (although you can't really see it due to trees). The home would face to the northwest.

We are a family of 4, with two young children (4.5 year old girl and almost 2 year old boy).

I've been searching farmhouse plans for about a month now, and saw this one yesterday, and it just...speaks to me. Things I love about it: the columnar layout of the kitchen/dining/living room, line of sight when I'm in the kitchen and kids are in the living room. Master on the main floor is a must, since we'll be in this house until we die (no way we're ever going to sell, I'm not moving again, no way, no how). The office/den would be used as a combination guest room (built in murphy bed) and play room for the kids. We would probably use the upstairs loft area as an office/homework/hang out space.

Things I'm not a fan of: the staircase location, and how it juts into the dining/living room. The garage needs to be larger (in fact, 3-car would be preferable to hubby, but in my opinion we have more than enough outbuildings to suffice, and expanding to 3-car would ruin the symmetry). I'm not a huge fan of the tiny corner sink in the powder room downstairs.

In the elevation picture, the hillside behind looks almost exactly like the hillside on our land, and I want to take advantage of those gorgeous views!

So, what am I missing, oh wise people of Gardenweb? Any other improvements/changes?

Comments (34)