SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

I need help getting out of the closet doldrums!

aliris19
12 years ago

I have been bedeviled by closets for a long, long while.

I just hate all the options, or at least all I can think of.

I think in a general way they would be:

1. sliding doors

2. bifold doors

3. curtains

4. nothing

BTDT on nothing, but want to grow up.

Bifold doors have such a bad reputation. I understand they can be made to work well, but so often don't that I don't think I could put up with them. That's out. Probably. Maybe ...

OTOH anything solid just takes up so much room. And the depth - tracks stack up doors so that's a lot of lost space. And the tracks. Do all bypass sliding doors need tracks in order to function adequately? I believe the Johnson ones do and I believe the consensus is: Use Johnson.

So ... if using bypass are you essentially stuck with floor tracks? Or ... tracks are different from glides, right? I think it is glides that the Johnson bypass use -- or perhaps this depends on the weight of the hardware and door? Is the type of footing optional? To what degree?

But ... those glides must cause an awful lot of stubbed toes, no?

Is it possible to hang functional bypass doors with no glide or track on the bottom? Because: tracks are a pain to clean; glides stub toes and are ugly. Does that sum it up?

Curtains ... in some ways this seems like the best possible of all solutions, but it wouldn't make much head-way in the "growing up" department. However, solid-door options all seem very flawed. Because then there's the problem of what door to use as well. Nice open louvered wooden versions cost a fortune. I looked into just laminating some plywood, but that's very heavy.

Can anyone offer any help out of this morass?? I'd really appreciate some insight and clarification if possible on where I'm going wrong. This has been such a problem for so long. I haven't even finished the flooring in the closets because I think you do that at the same time as tracks, if that's what's going to happen, right? So I've held off for so so long now. I just need to make some progress on this; I will be hugely grateful of some guidance if anyone's willing.

BTW, I am new here -- thanks for putting up with wailing from a stranger. But I've been hanging around on the kitchen forum for some while now.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments (16)